Search This Blog

Friday, September 1, 2017

It is Perfectly Fine to Be Excited for Sonic Forces


You know what game I'm looking forward to? I mean, yes, of course I'm very hyped for Super Mario Odyssey and I have been ever since Nintendo showed off that amazing second trailer of the game. But besides that, and other titles, I'm excited to get my hands on Sonic Forces. I can already see more than a few people raising their eyebrows in disbelief.

The game hasn't even been released yet and already there are videos on YouTube about how Sonic Forces needs to be fixed as well as a very controversial one from Nintendo Life that has since been removed.

Sonic Forces had the misfortune of being revealed at the same time Sonic Mania was. Where as Sonic Mania's reveal was met with universal thunderous applause, Sonic Forces wasn't so lucky. Sure, you've got people excited about it, but not as much as Sonic Mania. Sonic Mania is a 2D Sonic game that looks like it was made during the Genesis era, often seen as the peak of Sonic's gaming career. Sonic Forces is a 3D Sonic game and as we all know, there are some pretty big stinkers in the 3D Sonic era. Sadly, those bad eggs  are often overshadow the decent to truly great 3D Sonic titles.

Original Sonic characters get criticized heavily, often taking a lot of the blame for being one of the worst parts of the Sonic fanbase. Having said that, I am really excited about the custom character option in Sonic Forces. One of favorite things about Tekken 7 is all the cool clothing and accessories you can outfit the cast with. I'll probably spend a good ten to fifteen minutes deciding just how I want my Sonic Forces OC to look. I'm looking forward to seeing what other players come up with. Besides, OCs get a grappling hook!

It isn't hard to see why people got so hyped up for Sonic Mania. Not only does it play like the 2D Sonics from '90s, the development team behind the game, Christian White Head, Head Canon and Pagoda West Games, have experience with exceptionally good Sonic Rom hacks. Christian Whitehead was also responsible for those excellent Sonic 1-2 and CD mobile remakes. Sonic Mania being a stellar game was pretty much a safe beat from the start. Sonic Forces is being developed by the team that made Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, two of the best Sonic games that so many critics often forget about. I admit that I was skeptical about Sonic Forces at first but after the OC character reveal, the tag team feature reveal and seeing more footage, Sonic Forces is looking like it could be a very good Sonic title. Sonic Mania may not be the only Sonic title that gets a spot on my list of best games of 2017.

No comments: