Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Final Fantasy VI: World's Requiem


The Pixel Mixers. I've made it no secret that I am a very, very huge fan of the work these guys put out. Granted, it is only May, but they've already managed to make my ears stand up with The Green (Greens) Album and F-ZERO - Boost Power!, the later of which was the previous contender for the top spot of my favorite albums they've released in 2018. That all changed on May 2nd. This is the day they dropped the mother of all music bombs. They've released several Final Fantasy albums, but they haven't covered my favorite game in the franchise, Final Fantasy VI. Until now. If you don't have time to read the in depth details, I'll lay it out for you as I close out this intro paragraph. Final Fantasy VI: World's Requiem is one of the best Final Fantasy VI arrangements and you should be listening to it right this very second.

When I initially found out about this album, I feared only select tracks from Final Fantasy VI would be covered. The soundtrack of Final Fantasy VI has always spanned three discs with each physical release. I had no doubt I'd love this album even if it only covered specific tracks, but this is the music of Final Fantasy IV we're talking about. If any Final Fantasy soundtrack deserved to have each and every track arranged, it is the score to this game. Thankfully, World's Requiem covers each and every track from Final Fantasy VI. From the chilling Omen all the way to the magnificent Ending Theme, the Pixel Mixers have undertaken the mammoth task of covering every track in Final Fantasy VI's stellar soundtrack.

As I mentioned in the opening paragraph, this album is SO GOOD! If I'm going to choose a jump on point to discuss the arrangements, I suppose I'll start with The Mines of Narshe. The original theme has always been one of my favorite pieces of town music not just in the Final Fantasy series, but for RPGs in general. The Pixel Mixers arrangement of this theme fuses an amazing violin performance with occasional plucks from the banjo and of course, you gotta have that piano work, which is all kinds of awesome here. 

Final Fantasy VI's Battle Theme may not be my favorite standard FF battle jam, but I still like it a lot. The Pixel Mixers rock out with the theme here and it is indeed a head banger of a good time. As the song approaches the two minute mark, you start to hear pieces from past FF battle themes mixed in, including battle themes from Final Fantasy II and Final Fantasy V before resuming Final Fantasy VI's standard battle music. It was a totally unexpected but a very welcome callback.

There's a wonderful assortment of rock in World's Requiem and even some metal. None of the tracks feel samey, though. One track I was not expecting to get the rock/metal treatment, however was Edgar & Sabin. I'm not sure what I was expecting since the original tune is heavy on the horns and brass. The horns have been traded in for some sick guitar riffs and excellent drum beats and I am more than perfectly OK with this. If I had to pick a single track as my favorite from this album, it is without a doubt, the arrangement of Edgar & Sabin. I can't even remember how many times I've listened to it on repeat or had it playing in my head at work. The track was already godlike at the start but at 2:41, there's this outstanding guitar solo that goes on until 3:24. My word, what a freaking track!

If you favor other genres, fret not as World's Requiem is full of variety. The Returns and Shadow, are jazz inspired and I have to say, their version of the former theme just might one up Nobou Uematsu's original. Devil's Lab retains its industrial feel, The Serpent Trench gets a heavy helping of synth as a saxophone chimes in from time to time.

Really, I haven't even scratched the surface of how fantastic this album is. These are some of the best arrangements of Final Fantasy VI music that you will ever hear. I say that as someone that has listened to this album multiple times since downloading it well over a week ago. That's how good this baby is. And the Pixel Mixers just give this stuff away? The kindness of these fellows is too much. Anyway, download this album and listen to it over and over again as you drool with anticipation for whatever the next project is that they bring out.



Final Fantasy VI: World's Requiem 

No comments: