Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

An Overlooked Mega Man Soundtrack

Mega Man Battle & Chase was released in Japan in 1997 on the original PlayStation. Capcom had ran ads for the game in video game magazines in America, but Sony for whatever lame reason, didn't think the game was fit to cross over on American soil. The game didn't make it onto our scene until almost 10 years later when it was included in the Mega Man X Collection as an unlockable.

Battle & Chase may be one of the more obscure Mega Man titles, but it's still a fun game. For a Mario Kart knock of it was a pretty ambitious one. Winning races allowed you to get parts from the competition's carts and you could outfit your ride with multiple parts. This not only altered your cart on a performance level, it altered it cosmetically as well.

On top of the nice gameplay, Battle & Chase had a sweet soundtrack, comprised of nearly completely original tunes. My favorite songs are the various versions of Over the Top, Escape, Wind Carry My Words, Through the Air, Are You Gloomy, Chasers, but really, the whole score is quality stuff. Not a single remix has been made of from this soundtrack and that breaks my video-game-music-loving heart. Maybe someday someone will get hip to this awesome score and come out with some nice beats.

2 comments:

Tommy said...

I have it waiting to be unlocked on my MMX Collection. Thanks for link though, Reg, because I get the feeling that I'd probably have ended up looking for those songs when I did get back to my MM X playing.

Reggie White Jr. said...

No problem, Tommy. I didn't hear the music in Battle & Chase until I unlocked it in the MMX Collection. After that, I went looking for the soundtrack.