Search This Blog

Friday, December 19, 2014

Favorite Tunes #102: Settle it in Smash

I have been playing and loving Super Smash Bros. on the 3DS and Wii U. I've also been falling in love with the glorious soundtrack, spending more time than I probably should in My Music and trying to uncover more CDs to expand the music I can Smash to. This Favorite Tunes is all about the music in the fourth entry in Super Smash Bros. Happy Smashing!

Save the World, Heroes! (Find Mii II) - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (3DS)



The Wii U version of Smash 4 may be the better of the two, but I still greatly appreciate the fact that I can take Smash on the go.  As of this writing, I'm still playing it regularly. The 3DS version of Smash has stages that are unique to it, favoring levels from portable games. Even the Find Mii games got some acknowledgement in the form of a stage and two musical numbers. I already mentioned Dark Lord in a previous Favorite Tunes entry, so this time Save the World Heroes! gets a chance to shine. This theme always makes me feel more than a little heroic.

Coliseum Series Medley (Fire Emblem Series) - Super Smash Bros for Wii U (Wii U)



I've always been intrigued by the Fire Emblem games but to this day, I only own two entries in the series, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones and Fire Emblem: Awakening and I've yet to play either of those. What I can say is that Fire Emblem games have absolutely amazing music. Smash 4 on the Wii U only has two Fire Emblem stages, one returning from Brawl and a new one made specifically for this game. The selection of old remixes and new ones combined is staggering. I guess it is quite telling when the music makes you want to check out a series even more.

Jogging / Countdown - (Punch-Out!!) - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U (3DS, Wii U)



Fans wanted Little Mac in Smash for the longest time. The closest we got to having him in Brawl was through an Assist Trophy. One of the earliest stages that was shown off for Smash 4 was a boxing ring more than a year before the game was released. This made some fans suspect that the pint sized boxer was in the game. When he was confirmed, the fanbase exploded. This track gives you two themes for the price of one, with a bit of the boxing theme music sprinkled in.

Bathtime Vocal Mix (Nintendogs) - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U



Ah, the Living Room, one of the few stages to take place in a house. You've got a cute little doggy playing in the background, all nice and homey. Then it starts raining. But this isn't any old precipitation. It's falling blocks and those suckers hurt. Thankfully you can climb on them and watch the drop shadows to avoid being hit. I've never played Nintendogs but I loved this remix to death on the 3DS version of Smash. It was stated that most of the 3DS tunes would make it to the Wii U version and thankfully, this song is present and accounted for.

The Great Cave Offensive (Kirby Super Star) - Super Smash Bros for Wii U (Wii U)



A mini game from Kirby Super Star, the Great Cave Offensive was getting stage love in Smash 4 on Wii U! Huzzah! Annnnnnd it turned out to be the biggest level in the game. Seriously, Temple is tiny compared to the Great Cave Offensive. I suppose it is being true to the game it's from in scope. I mean, that cave was quite massive. Not too many fans like this stage due to the over overwhelming size, which makes fighters microscopic. Nobody can hate on this outstanding orchestral theme, though.

Shadow Man Stage (Mega Man 3) - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U)



Mega Man 3 is my favorite Mega Man but I know Mega Man 2 gets so much more attention. I was afraid Spark Man Stage would be the only theme that would get arranged from Mega Man 3, but as I scrolled through Wily Castle in My Music, my eyes grew wide as I was staring at a remix for Shadow Man Stage, who has one of the most badawesome themes in the whole series. I've always felt Shadow Man's theme was more jazzy, but I've no problem with rock versions. You better believe I have this baby set to play often.

Style Savvy: Trendsetters (Style Savvy: Trendsetters) - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U)



Looking through the My Music list on Wuhu Island, I came across this song that was from a game I've never played or even heard of. After doing some research, I found out that this remix was from the 2012 3DS game of the exact same name. After giving it a listen and hearing how bouncy and catchy it was, I knew I had to hear it frequently. I just love how Masahiro Sakurai continues to dig into Nintendo's history with these games.

Light Plane Vocal Mix (Pilotwings) - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U)



When I saw screens of a Pilotwings level, my heart jumped for joy. OK, so Pilotwings isn't my all-time favorite Nintendo series, but as I've said before, one of the many things I love about Smash is how it pays tribute to Nintendo's rich history, including the bits that don't get as much attention as the company's other franchises. With a Pilotwings stage, comes delicious Piltwings remixes. Flying over Wuhu Island, jumping from plane to plan, listening to this soothing theme. It's enough to make you forget about all those times you crashed your air rider so many years ago. Until you see the mode 7 section of the level, that is.

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels Medley (Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels) - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U)



Just seeing this song listed in My Music was enough to give me an unsettling feeling. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels has the dubious honor of being the only Super Mario game that I HATE. Still, I was willing to put the negativity aside and give this one a listen. Oh it's good. Really, freaking good. While Lost Levels reuses a lot of the music from the original Super Mario Bros., the ending theme was more fleshed out, which is probably why this got the Lost Levels label attached to it.


Multi-Man Smash - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U (3DS/Wii U)



A new Super Smash Bros., a new Super Smash Bros. main theme. It's common practice to arrange the main them of a game the Smash Bros. series is no stranger to this practice. Smash 4, however may boast the most main theme arrangements of any previous entry. I loved this theme when the trailer for the game launched in 2013, which is now known as Battlefield. This disco-ish arrangement really brings the hype for me.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: