Search This Blog

Sunday, November 25, 2018

Favorite Tunes #246: Gaming's First Vocal Track

It only took 246 entries but at long last, we have a Favorite Tunes that features the very first vocal track in the history of video games. Some of you may already know what game it comes from but for those of you that don't you just may be surprised. Or not. *shrugs*

Psycho Soldier Theme (ENG) (JPN) - (ARC)
Gaming music with vocals is common place today. The very first game to feature a vocal track was SNK's 1987 arcade release, Psycho Soldier. If you've played the King of Fighters games, you've probably heard an arranged version of the Psycho Soldier theme. The lyrics are cheesy and the singing (especially in the English version) isn't great but the song itself is pretty catchy and I've caught myself singing it recently. With the release of SNK 40th Anniversary Collection, I suspect this song will reach the ears of even more people.

China (Psycho Soldiers Team) - The King of Fighters '94 (ARC)
The first entry in the long running KOF series. KOF games brings together characters from SNK's numerous franchises both post and pre NEO-GEO era. They may be sporting new designs and different clothes but make no mistake, the members of Team Psycho Soldier are the very same from the 1987 arcade game, Psycho Soldier. I imagine KOF '94 might have been the first time some gamers ever heard a variation of the Psycho Solider theme.

Celadon City Theme - Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Evee (NS)
I don't think there has ever been a more divisive Pokemon game. You've got those looking forward to this gen 1 remake and those that want nothing to do with it because it caters to the Pokemon Go crowd. Let's Go brings about a number of changes such as the removal of random battles and overall makes the game easier, which doesn't sit too well with the core Pokemon fanbase. I'm just happy to her some more arranged Pokemon music. I don't think Celadon City as ever sounded so good.

Turquoise Paradise - For  Foilage Furnace Act 1 - Sonic After the Sequel (PC)
Considered one of the best Sonic fan games, Sonic After the Sequel (the sequel to Sonic Before the Sequel) plays a lot like the Genesis games but has audio that is far outside of the 16-bit system's limitations. I haven't played it but I have listened to the soundtrack numerous times and it is on par with Tee Lopes' work.

Megalovania - Undertale (PC, PS4, NS)
I haven't been checking around, so I gotta ask, is it still popular to hate on Undertale? Not that I really care, I'm just curious. Anyhoo. Saying this particular track is a huge fan favorite would be a massive understatement. I mean, this sucker is about to crack 70 million views in the link that I've placed above. It probably isn't a spoiler at this point, but I still like to avoid ruining things for people, so if you wish to play Undertale unspoiled, don't click the song link above. But if you want to hear this track in game, you better be prepared to kill everything and everyone you come across.

Main Theme: Lifelight - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (NS)
Piranha Plant was one of the biggest reveals during the final Smash Ultimate Direct. Thank Daddy Sakurai killed off (almost) everyone and hit us with this oh-so lovely lyrical version of the game's main theme. This isn't the first time the Smash games have gotten a main theme with vocals. There was one in Brawl that was sung in Latin, but this theme, man, THIS THEME! I did not think it was possible for me to get anymore excited for the release of Smash Ultimate but this theme has me beyond jazzed. I am so ready for World of Light.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: