Search This Blog

Saturday, December 8, 2018

Favorite Tunes #248: Ultimate Listening

So yeah, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate just came out and spoiler alter, the game is freaking awesome! This week of Favorite Tunes is all about the music from the latest installment in Nintendo's mega crossover.

Special thanks to Cat with Monocle for the awesome Smash Ultimate wallpapers. Check them out here and use them to decorate your PC, laptop or phone.

I started playing The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker around the same time I played Brawl. Wind Waker really built my appreciation for Toon Link and when I unlocked him in Brawl, he became my favorite Link to use. My first exposure to the Molgera boss theme was through Brawl, which was one of the main reasons I loved playing Toon Link's stage. I was devastated when the Molgera music didn't return for Smash Wii U. Thankfully, this mistake has been corrected. Ultimate gives us a glorious remix to one of my favorite Wind Waker songs. I don't know if the original Molgera theme is in Ultimate or not, but this arrangement is so good that I have no problems if this is the only Molgera theme we get. 

The Super Smash Bros. games are about blasting famous gaming icons off the screen, yes. However, the games are also about the rich history of famous as well as not-so-famous games. Scroll through My Music and you'll probably spot a few tracks from games you don't recognize. I came across some of the original 8-bit music from Yuyuki a few years back. Listening to this arrangement makes me wish Nintendo would bring us some of their more obscure titles.

I have been wanting a Sand Ocean remix in Smash for the longest time. Not only did I get my wish, the original SNES tune is also available in Ultimate. I've always felt that Sand Ocean doesn't get the love that Mute City, Big Blue or Port Town does and it is a real shame because its such a great tune and I'm pleased to see it get the attention it deserves in Ultimate.


The amount of musical love Mega Man has been given in Smash Ultimate is mind blowing. Wily Castle has over 25 tracks when booting the game up and more than several of them are brand new remixes. I was not expecting a Top Man remix but I will gladly take it. Meanwhile, Cloud is off crying in a corner because Midgar STILL only has two tracks. 

King Bowser - Super Mario Bros. 3 (New Remix) - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (NES)
My favorite 2D Mario game is Super Mario Bros. 3 and I love, love, loooooove the Bowser battle music. Those bongo drums really do it for me. If I had to decide my favorite Boswer final battle theme, it would be tough to decide between this one and the one from Super Mario World. Naturally, when I found out there was an arrangement of Bowser's Super Mario Bros. 3 theme, I had to crank it all the way up on certain Mario themed stages. The themed also contains an arrangement of World 8 from the same game. The man himself, Koji Kondo, stepped in to arrange his own work. 

Who can forget the reveal of King K. Rool? I didn't see why everyone wanted him so badly in the Smash Wii U early days, but after using him in Ultimate, I'm very glad he's been included. I would have liked to have Dixie, but K. Rool makes an excellent third DK rep. Speaking of things that are excellent, do I even need to mention how amazing this new remix of Gang-Plank Galleon is? Those trumpets go in SO hard.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: