Search This Blog

Saturday, January 26, 2019

Favorite Tunes #255: Ring a Ding

Perhaps it is because I've been working on blog posts late in the morning hours and I'm tired, but I've been noticing that a few of my posts have gone up without being finished, including this one. So if you happen to come across any unfinished posts, my apologies.

Ahem, this week, there's music from an old soda mascot and some music you can here in that one crossover fighter I've been playing like crazy, but no new arrangements from said game. That makes two weeks in a row I've gone without including a new remix from it. Can we go for three? Eh, I have no idea.

Shell Shock - Cool Spot (SNES)
In 1993, by some chance, I happened to rent Cool Spot. Without reading any reviews. Miraculously the game did not suck, which was major bragging rights back then (still is to some degree). The game had very fluid animation and a top notch soundtrack by Tommy Tallarico. Fun fact, the man cannot read music but that has never stopped him from composing it.

E. Honda Stage (CPSI) - Street Fighter II (ARC)
You wanna hear one of the greatest, classic gaming soundtracks of all-time, Street Fighter II is a good pick. With the CPSI and CPSII, it comes int two versions if we're strictly speaking about coin-op version. Between the two, I have my preferred versions but you really can't go wrong with either. Near as I can tell, every stage theme from both versions of the coin-op soundtrack is in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

You Call This a Utopia?! (Mother 3) - Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
Remember when New Pork City was the biggest stage in Smash? Now we have Great Cave Offensive and Paultina's Temple to put it to shame. I've actually been playing a few matches on New Pork City in Ultimate in the battlefield form and those Mother 3 arrangements are really growing on me. Tough call on whether I think this or Porky's Theme is the best, but both are really, really good I catch myself picking them on other EarthBound stages.

Sunset Heights - Sonic Forces (PC, PS4, NS, XBO)
A game that has been put on blast by both fans and critics, I still say that Sonic Forces is not atrocious game it is often made out to be. There is not only Forces representation via Spirits in Ultimate but music as well. Of course, Fist Bump is part of Sonic's music selection but also Sunset Heights. I would have loved to see Space Port and other tracks but Sunset Heights is still a good choice.

Moon Over the Castle - Gran Turismo 2 (PS)
For all of the licensed music in Gran Turismo 2, my favorite tracks are the original music, which has a fair amount of relaxing, jazz pieces. Oh and then you've got this Moon Over the Castle theme that fakes you out with that gentle piano intro before kicking things into high gear.

Ring a Ding - Style Savvy: Styling Star (3DS)
I know I've been talking about Smash a lot the past few Favorite Tunes, but with the series crossover nature, it is also a gateway to other franchises. Case in point, Smash 4 put the Style Savvy games on my radar through the inclusion of a remix and an original song. Both of those songs were I played highly in Smash 4 and the same is being done with Ring a Ding in Ultimate, a super lively track from the latest entry in the Style Savvy series.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: