Search This Blog

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Favorite Tunes #256: Rising Sun

So a certain lovey dovey holiday is coming up. I'm sure I'm going to spend it slaving away at work but I'll try to have a love themed Favorite Tunes for next Saturday. What's that? You say, the holiday will be over by then? Pish posh. You can celebrate love any day of the week! We now return to your regularly scheduled Favorite Tunes already in progress.

Steel Giant - Xenogears (PS)
Ah, Xenogears, a game that released to great controversey regarding the heavy religious themes. Some review mags such as GamePro even took heat from fans for scoring the game negatively. Despite owning the game via the PS3, I haven't played much of it but I've listened to the musical score several times over and it is some incredible stuff. Listening to the Pixel Mixers arrangement album gave me a reminder of how awesome a track Steel Giant is. This would have made a great track to include on the Midgar stage in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but alas, Square Enix is so stingy.

Crocodile Cacophony - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
When Diddy is ape-napped by King K. Rool, it's up to Diddy and his girlfriend, Dixie to save the day. David Wise composed most of the score from the first Donkey Kong Country, joined by Robin Beanland and Eveline Novakovic but he was a solo act for the sequel. I was super pleased to find a remix of this song in Smash Ultiamte, so pleased that I realized I needed to list the original tune here.

Tears Of... - Silent Hill (PS)
Like Capcom's mega popular zombie infested franchise, I've never gotten into Silent Hill. Having said that, I just might have to check out more songs from this series. This is one I came across on one of the many relaxing VGM playlists on YouTube.

Warm-A-Live - Live-A-Live (SFC)
Released only in Japan at a time when they were simply known as Square, Live-A-Live is a Super Famicom RPG that has you playing as seven different characters. OK, so the game is a bit deeper than that, but I like to keep things brief in Favorite Tunes, but if you take anything away from this game, let it be the magnificent soundtrack by Yoko Shimomura.

Rising Sun - Final Fantasy Adventure (GB)
Man, I sure am giving Square Enix a lot of audio love this week. This theme serves as title screen music. It may have "Final Fantasy" in the title, but this is actually the start of the Mana or Seiken Densetsu series. Secret of Man on the SNES is actually Seiken Densetsu 2. Anyway, you can thank Kenji Ito for that soothing music that is currently assaulting your ears.

Wii Shop Channel - Wii
I said my farewells to the Wii Shop Channel a few days ago, but it still sucks to see it go. You can still listen to the music via the Wii, just don't expect to get much farther than that. Thankfully, the Wii Shop Channel tune is a selectable music track in Smash Ultimate. Sure, it may not be as high energy as other tracks, but I don't think too many people would argue against it's inclusion.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: