Search This Blog

Thursday, June 20, 2019

Nintendo Murdered E3 2019. In a Good Way


Yes, the winners of E3 are the gamers, but let's be real here. Nintendo. MURDERED that joint. I know that I tried to refrained from picking a side for E3 winners in 2017, but if you were to ask me who the victor was then, I'd have to agree that Nintendo walked away with the crown.

The reveal of the Hero from Dragon Quest and Banjo-Kazooie might have been somewhat ruined thanks to leakers (seriously, eff leakers) but if all the reaction videos I've seen are anything to go by, many are beyond stoked that that the leak was real and some didn't even know about the leak. Either way, people are really excited for the two (three, I didn't forget you, Kazooie) new Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC characters.

Stealth drops are always a pleasant surprise. The very day of the E3 Nintendo Direct, I was wondering when the Contra Anniversary Collection was coming out and when the game was show briefly along with the fact that it wold be available on the eShop later that day, my Contra itch was about to be scratched and then some.

Trials of Mana, what Seiken Densetsu 3 is officially going to be called outside of Japan is getting a remake. I know lots of people Didn't like the 2018 remake of Secret of Mana, but as one of the few who did like it, I'm interested to see how the Trials of Mana remake turns out in 2020. Collection of Mana was also stealth dropped, containing the first three Mana games. I have not played Final Fantasy Adventure in eons and that game was in dire need of a re-release and is a perfect fit for the Switch. The big deal about Collection of Mana is that is is the first time the original Trials of Mana has been officially translated and released outside of Japan. I've heard the soundtrack to that game, but I've never played it. I almost bought it later that day but I got word that a physical release was coming in late August and I am all about some physical games in this heavy digital age.

I was already pumped for Luigi's Mansion 3 and Astral Chain but now that we've seen much more, I'm foaming at the mouth over these titles. Astral Chain looks crazy good. Plot wise, I'm not expecting an epic for the ages but as long as the gameplay is tight, and that is ineeded looking to be the case, I'm all in. Nintendo had my money for that game back in February. I cannot throw my money at them fast enough. Still no solid release date for Luigi's Mansion 3 but I'm hoping for an October date. With Dragon Quest XI and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening releasing in the same week in September, we really don't need another great game sucking up our money that month.

I know some are disappointed that Animal Crossing: New Horizons, a game that was originally promised a 2019 release was delayed to March 2020. Personally, I see this is a blessing in disguise. Mu backlog is not getting any smaller and with everything Nintendo showed during the direct, do you really need another $60 game? My wallet crawled up from the grave and thanked Nintendo for letting if live a little while longer.

Nintendo can be a very strange company with whacked out policies and still not comprehending online but one thing they know like nobody's business is games, games, and more games. Other companies are doing yawn inducing press conferences where they talk and talk. Nintendo shows what really matters: the games. Not only did Nintendo show off the games (and gameplay, not just fancy cinematics) they showed off a ton of them and that is why they won E32019.

No comments: