Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2021

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection: Or How I'm Thinking of Hurting Myself

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection is set to release on February 25th. Fans who have been frothing for another game in Capcom's long running brutal platformer have at last had their patience rewarded. When I say "brutal" I don't think I'm doing the description justice. Ghost 'n Goblins games were Dark Souls before there was Dark Souls. And for as punishing as a game I know it is going to be, I've got it on my Wish List on the eShop, fully intending to pick it up.


I do not consider myself a masochist. There are some games I will flat out avoid playing if the difficulty is designed to cut me open and throw buckets of salt onto my wounds. But I have history with the Ghosts 'n Goblins games. Mind you, it isn't what I would call good history but I'm no stranger to this series. I've played Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. And when I say "play" I really mean struggle. 

Yes, struggle is probably a better word to use. Because until you obtain the masterful skills required to succeed at the games in the main Ghosts 'n Goblins franchise (the Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest titles are miles easier without question), pain and suffering is what awaits you. Imagine being punched in the face by Mahamud Ali, George Foreman and Mike Tyson, all in their prime, without box gloves on. As agonizing as that is, there are players that get up after taking such hits, crawl back to the trio of boxers that put them on the ground and ask if they can have more. Those G 'n G players? Those are the truly dedicated masochistic players. Me, I've pretty much gotten used to the cold floor's embrace. 

Playing Ghosts, Ghouls or Super Ghouls to me at least, feels like I'm cutting myself. I know full well these games are going to frustrate me and whenever I make the vain attempt, I get myself into a universe of hurt The farthest I've gotten in any of these games is the third stage in Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts and that was after countless tries. Maybe if I keep at it, I could come close to finishing one of them, but I just don't have the patience or desire to destroy me sanity.

So why am I planning to pick up Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection? I know the following these games have and I feel like throwing out support. The art style of this re-imagined game looks quite nice. Yeah, I am awful at these games but even I have to admit it is nice to see the franchise make a return. I'll probably play for a little while, die a bunch on the first level, eventually make it to the second level, die even more there and call it quits. What can I say, I'm weird like that.

No comments: