Search This Blog

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Games You're Sick of Hearing About

This isn't a bad game, but many hate it
because the hype it generates is
inescapable.
Special thanks to Alpha Omega Sin for inspiring this post.

Years ago there was a website called GamingFM. It was a website that worked as an online radio station that played nothing but video game music. There were numerous stations you could listen to but I usually stuck to the modern and classic channels. The site also let users submit requests from songs that were already in the station's database. On the modern station one song that I heard a lot was "One Winged Angel" from Final Fantasy VII. That's the theme that plays when you fight Sephiroth's second form. Anyway, I heard that song every day on the modern station. Every. Single. Day. Because I heard it so often, I stopped listening to the modern station and got fed up with that song all together. That song grated on my nerves so much that I can barely tolerate it today do to it's overexposure on that website. The thing is, I never really hated One Winged Angel until I heard it a million times a week. Hearing that song so often made me sick to death of it. Unfortunately, this can happen with songs we like that get played far too many times. It's not limited to music. It can happen with movies, shows, even video games.

If there's one game that's everywhere these days, it's Call of Duty. While it's sold millions and remains popular, a lot of gamers that don't even play the series are tired of hearing about it. Why? Because it's everywhere. It's in books, video game magazines, the internet, even on cars. No one is safe from this game's ever reaching shadow. They can't breath without being reminded that Call of Duty exists in the universe.

I've never played a single Call of Duty game, but I can attest to one of the people getting annoyed with constantly hearing about it (and hear I am, bringing it up, thus generating more talk about the series. Irony, I know). Call of Duty is such an in-your-face series, arguably the biggest out there, that I'm not even sure if I would play it if I was given the chance.

But it's not just limited to Activision's cash cow series. Somewhere out there is a group of gamers that are fed up with all the Madden hype. They probably wouldn't shed any tears if that series finally died. In just six years time, the Guitar Hero series has pumped out enough sequels and spin-offs to make Street Fighter II jealous.

This can also apply to retro titles. I love Mega Man 2, but I also think it's overrated. Dr. Wily Stage 1 has been remixed more than any other Mega Man track. The entire classic Mega Man series has superb music but all too often remixers do a track from Mega Man 2. Keiji Inafune loves Mega Man 2 so much (maybe a bit too much) that Mega Man 9 and 10 were maid to play more like that game, removing the slide and charge shot, something that irked more than a few players. I really enjoyed Mega Man 9 and 10, but in sort of feels like those games could never really stand on their own because they were trying to be too much like Mega Man 2.

So what games are you sick of hearing about?

No comments: