Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2011

Dual Analog for the 3DS and It's Not Pretty

Everyone else has had their say on it, so why shouldn't I sound off, too? I'm a week late, but whatever.

There's been talk in Nintendo that releasing the 3DS without dual analog was a mistake and if the scans that surfaced in Famitsu are any indication, it seems that Nintendo wants to address the problem. But I'm not sure this add-on is the way to go about it.

The 3DS will be getting another circle pad, but at the cost of adding more weight to the system. On top of that, said add-on is butt ugly. I'm sorry, but I have to agree with everyone else. That thing is hideous. And I'm pretty much against anything that puts more weight on a handheld.

Seeing this new add-on for the 3DS made me think of the Handy Boy for the original Game Boy. Sure, it came with a light, magnifying glass to make the picture easier to see and louder speakers. But in doing all that, it tripled the weight of the system and the first Game Boy was no light weight. That thing was given the nickname "The Brick" for a reason.

You certainly aren't getting less, that's
for sure.
As much of an eyesore as the new 3DS add-on is, it may be better than the alternative. With Nintendo's history of releasing new handheld models of the Game Boy Advance and DS, the last thing people want to do is shell out more cash for a sleeker model with features that should have been built into the first one. Besides, making a new 3DS with dual analog could just make the thing even bigger and I quite like my Nintendo portables to be as compact as possible.

Maybe some third party will come up with a more sophisticated dual analog for the 3DS. As it stands, I'll be sticking with single analog when I pick up the system.

No comments: