Search This Blog

Friday, December 2, 2011

Richard Garriott: Console Gaming's Days are Numbered

Richard, you so crazy.
Mobile has gaming on the rise for some time now. Rising enough to replace console gaming? Richard Garriott seems to think so.

"I think we might get one more generation, might, but I think fundamentally they're doomed. I think fundamentally the power that you can carry with you in a portable is really swamping what we've thought of as a console."

This man is so far off his rocker it's not even funny.

Mobile phones offer some good games and I'm no stranger to portable gaming. My DSi is a wonder for gaming on the go and I've been known to play it for hours when I'm at home. To say that mobile gaming will weed out console gaming? That's just crazy talk. Many mobile games don't even come close to matching the depth of what you'd find on a console, or even that of portable game systems like the DS or PSP.

Garriot created the Ultima series many moons ago. I've never played any of the Ultima games but I'm aware of the popularity that they carry. Just because someone creates a critically acclaimed series, that does not make them immune to having crazy, outlandish predictions. Rich, try not to look too surprised at all the "boxes" you see in the future.

Source: GameSpot

1 comment:

sigmond belly said...

I don't think mobile gaming can take place of console gaming. Yeah, I agree that people likes to play games on their tablets and mobile phones. But they can't do it like that for long time.
r4 uk