Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Currently Playing #21: Kirby Triple Deluxe

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (All-Stars ver.)



Also known as the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2. Also know as sheer torture. Having typed that last one out, you may be wondering, "Why are you playing this game?" I'm working on a special Mario feature for this blog that I've had spinning around in my dome for some time now. Much to my deep regret, completing this feature requires me to play what is without question the only game in the Super Mario series that I utterly despise. I'm playing the Wii's Super Mario All-Stars enhanced port because being able to save on every single level is a gift from God in the cruel an unjust world that is Lost Levels.

I can appreciate Luigi's superior jumping skills in this game but I don't feel like dealing with his sub-par traction, which would only make the game even more difficult than it already is. Thus, I've decided to make this painful journey as the older brother, Mario. I've also decided to use a guide for this play through as I've had more than enough of this game screwing me over in the past. In World 3-1, I went down a pipe that I thought was taking to a bonus room. It did, but it was home to a Bill Blaster. which didn't bode well for me. Sure enough it took me to one of those dreaded backwards Warp Zones. Since I had no desire to play through two worlds I had already conquered, I used the conveniently placed pit to kill myself. Cripes, I hate this game. I hate this game, I hate this game, I HATE. THIS. GAME!!! Never have I uttered that phrase so many times in all the years I've been gaming. Just the thought of sitting down to play this one makes me let out frustrated sighs.

Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)



I've decided to start this game and finish it up before the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. releases in about two weeks. Kirby had some of his best outings on the DS and his two Wii adventures are among my favorite Kirby titles. Triple Deluxe  is enjoyable but not on the same level as previous Kirby outings. I dig a lot of the new power ups like Beetle and Bell Kirby and the Hypernova inhale power is nice but even with the 3D effects and everything else it has going for it, Triple Deluxe just doesn't feel on par with Return to Dream Land. No, I didn't come in looking for this baby to surpass my all-time favorite Kirby game, but I'm still more than a little disappointed with this game after three worlds in.

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)



I've gotten 100% completion of every world except World Crown. My aim is to get 100% completion of this game and I'm well aware of what doing that means. The biggest hurdle to jump over is more than likely going to be Champion's Road, by none, the hardest level in the game. I've played a good chunk of it with my nieces and newphews and some of it solo. I'd have to be crazy to try and tackle this stage without power-ups. The farthest I've gotten is to the long climb with the piranha plants, which just screams of needing a Cat Suit.

The last Mystery House isn't a cake walk either. So far, I've managed to get 12 Green Stars with Luigi. The 13th one, where you have to use a giant shoot to skate past enemies that like to block your way has been giving me trouble. Champion's Road with every character is tough enough but grabbing 30 Green Stars with everyone? Super Mario 3D World may very well be one of the most difficult games in the series to finish 100%.

Also Playing: Mario Kart 8, Shovel Knight

No comments: