Search This Blog

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Piranha Plants (and Other Things)


Pfffffftttt PA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Oh man. Sakurai, Sakurai, Sakurai. You are one of the greatest video game developers on this Earth. No, you are are one of the greatest people, walking this Earth. You and your very talented team work so hard on each new Super Smash Bros. game. For Ultimate, we have over 100 stages and over 70 characters to choose from. You've given fans characters they've wanted for years like Simon Belmont and Ridley. Annnnnnd you're also giving us Piranha Plant.

When you stop to consider that Piranha Plant, a basic enemy from the Super Mario series got in Smash over Waluigi, it's pretty freaking hilarious. Piranha Plant got into Smash Ultimate over that one character you desperately wanted. Salt is definitely in the air in the Smash community and I cannot help giggling like a school girl.

Like a lot of people, I was surprised to see Piranha Plant be revealed as a playable character. I stared back at my phone and said "WHAT?!" Sure, some people probably anticipated Ken being Ryu's Eco Fighter and an Alohan Pokemon rep. But Piranha Plant? That is something that nobody saw coming. Piranha Plant's inclusion in Ultimate is the definition of left field.

People wanted Geno and Banjo-Kazooie. They got a weed. You hear people across the Smash community screaming "NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS!!!" And yeah, on one did ask for  Piranha Plant. As much as the plant's inclusion makes me chuckle, the thing is yet another Smash reminder that Sakurai cannot please everyone.

Let's say we did get the character's mentioned above. Somewhere, someone would still be unhappy. I'm not saying to just accepting every single thing you are given. But when you've got a game like Ultimate, a game that is positively dripping at the seems with characters and content and people are still having a hissy fit because X character isn't in the game, well, those people really do seem like petty, entitled mofos.

Piranha Plant is a character I never knew I wanted until I saw it dodging attacks, shooting spikey balls and reaching across the stage to chomp fools. Real talk, Piranha Plant looks like mad, mad fun to play as and play as it I shall, no matter where it sits on the tier list.

As for non potted plant related things, I found it funny that Sakurai took several seconds out of the direct to blink and ponder if he'll ever get a break. I honestly hope he is sleeping well considering everything he does.

That killer cut scene where the whole crew is about to face off against an army of Master Hands before everything goes horribly wrong and everyone, save Kirby, gets vaporized? Man, that was awesome! Also awesome was that sweet vocal rendition of the main theme. That was about as unexpected as our sharp toothed plant newcomer.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is a month away and my excitement for the game grows by the day. I cannot wait to collect Spirits and familiarize myself with the new characters and stages. I've been playing the Smash on the Wii U and 3DS to help pass the time and I'm doing my best not to rely on rolling so much. I don't plan to be a competitive player but since rolling is going to be far more punishable in Ultimate, I'd like to break a bad habit. December 7th seems so close and yet so far.

No comments: