Search This Blog

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Currently Playing #11

Luigi's Mansion (GCN)



A launch title for the GameCube and one where Nintendo's mascot was not the star of the show. Instead, the spotlight was centered on Mario's twin brother, Luigi. I haven't played Luigi's Mansion since I finished it a few days after the GCN launch. I loved it back then and I still love it now. This game feels like it was custom made for the GCN controller. Despite the struggle the ghosts put up when trying to catch them, everything still controls as smooth as silk when combining movements of the analog stick and the c stick. It makes me wonder if I'll truly have to invest in that cumbersome second thumb pad accessory for the 3DS when Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon releases.

I think I'm about halfway finished with the game. I've already unleashed the Boos, which are by far the most annoying ghosts to catch since they like to run away so often. I think you have to capture at least 40 to be able to fight King Boo. I have around 20 or so Boos caught. Bogmire gave me trouble when I fought him years ago and he gave me trouble when I fought him recently, so much that he nearly gave me a game over. I've seen a YouTube video showing that there's a way to easily subdue Bogmire in record time, but I sure can't do it.

Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 1 (PS2)



I was in the mood for some old-school arcade gaming action so I pulled out one of my favorite compilation games, Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 1. Mercs, Final Fight, Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting, there are so many good titles on this collection. Mercs is hands down one of the best top-down run and gun shooters I've ever played and Final Fight never gets old. Why Capcom hasn't released more of these collections outside of Vol. 1-2 is beyond me.

Still Playing: Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution, OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast

5 comments:

Voltech said...

The sight of Mike Haggar, MAYOR OF EARTH, always puts a smile on my face.

As for Luigi's Mansion...well, I never got to even try it. My brother did once, and according to him the game sucked, and as a result we never bought it. By the sound of things, that might have been a mistake -- or at the very least, more proof that he has terrible taste in...well, everything.

Reggie White Jr. said...

Mike Haggar is the greatest mayor ever, fictional or non fictional. =)

Luigi's Mansion may not be for everyone but it's a fun, short, replayable game. It shouldn't take one more than 7 hours to beat but it's fun while it lasts.

Unknown said...

Luigi is really considered his twin brother? xD

Reggie White Jr. said...

@Latin Lain

Yes, despite Luigi being taller and thinner, he is Mario's twin.

Unknown said...

Ah, must not be identical twins then. School me then.