Search This Blog

Saturday, March 23, 2019

Cuphead is Switch-Bound and I am HYPE



I missed the Nindies Presentation on March 20th due to issues relating to work. So when I come home after slaving away, turn on my Switch and see the familiar duo that is Cuphead and Mugman holding Joycons, playing on a Switch, of course my eyes are grew ever wider and my jaw dropped.

Unless you've been living in some secluded place cut off from all forms of electricity or news, you've probably heard of Cuphead. It was one of the many games released in 2017 that was the talk of the gaming medium. Considering a few of the outstanding titles that came out that year (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Sonic Mania to name a few) that is no small feat. The game boasts incredible hand drawn animation in the style of 1930s theatrical shorts, has boss battle stages as well as some running/gunning and platforming stages. Cuphead is also famous for the old-school jazz inspired soundtrack that is a serious toe taper.

There was something else the game was famous (or infamous depending on how you view things) for: its difficulty. Cuphead is hard. Like, really, really, reaaaaaalllllly freaking hard. The run and gun levels demand that you bring your A game and bosses have multiple phases so just when you get the hang of one, the boss busts out some new moves and you're staring at the game over screen. For the 12th time. Yes, Cuphead is a brutal game and probably not for those that are quick to throw their controller. Now might be a good idea to invest ins some shock absorption/protective padding for those that play in handheld often.


Nintendo's console/handheld hybrid has done exceptionally well, already outselling the Wii U, N64 and GCN lifetime sales. In 2017 alone the system was breaking sales records. Developers and publishers that were previously on the fence on the topic of supporting the Switch due to Nintendo's shaky track record with third party support were quick to sing a different tune. The Switch now enjoys tremendous third party support and indie developers love the Switch. Due to the Switch's portable nature, the desire to see it get games currently not available on the platform is strong. Cuphead was one of those desirable games people wanted to see on the Switch but due to it being a Microsoft exclusive, some thought that it would never leave the Xbox One and PC platforms. Well, it turns out it was Microsoft that approached the developers of Cuphead, Studio MDHR, to bring the game to the Switch. Microsoft and Nintendo have gotten real buddy-buddy over the past year or so, but that's an editorial for another day.

Cuphead is one of those games that made me jealous of Xbox One and PC gamers. I do not have an Xbox One or a gaming PC. I play very little games on my laptop (the last game I played on it was Undertale) and it is from 2013 so the girl is getting on in years. I also don't have a good controller for my laptop and I've played 2D games for so long with a controller that using a keyboard would just feel super awkward. I suppose that somewhere in the back of my mind, I was holding out hope that dogs would start meowing and Cuphead would come to the PS4 or the Switch. Not sure who taught their dog how to sound like a cat, whoever did, you have my sincerest thanks.

Run and gun shooters have a been a favorite genre of mine ever since I was exposed to Contra as a lad. I get a big kick out of the Metal Slug entries and Bleed 2 was some of the most guns blazing action I had in a long while. Blazing Chrome is also looking like it is going to be insanely good I can't wait to play it when it releases (whenever that is). Despite the insane difficulty, I am very much looking forward to Cuphead when the digital version drops on April 18th. I'll pick up the physical version when it releases as well. Hardly the first time I've bought a game physically and digitally.

No comments: