Search This Blog

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Favorite Tunes #260: Shoot! Shoot! SHOOT!

Favorite Tunes on a Sunday? What gives? Well, since the Tetris 99 editorial went up on Saturday, Favorite Tunes was moved to Sunday. I don't like to post twice in one day. Soooooo, here's some video game music to go with your Sunday.

Black Rain (Stage 6) - Hyper Duel (ARC)
With so many arcade games getting digital re-releases, I'm really hoping that more of Technosoft's catalog get's time to shine again. Just listening to the music from Hyper Duel has me itching to play it. Expect more music from this game in future Favorite Tunes.

Invitation - Gradius III (ARC)
My first exposure to the Gradius series was the SNES port of Gradius III. Even so, I do greatly enjoy the arcade version's score along the the 16-bit version. It's tough for me to pick which version I like the best. When it comes to the game, however, I'll take the SNES version. Sure it has slowdown, but it actually gives me some continues.

Swanky Swing - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
King K. Rool's presents in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate along with numerous spirits from the Donkey Kong Country games has reminded me of music from the SNES trilogy. Every time I spot Swanky Kong's spirit, I can hear his tune playing in my head. Why, oh why didn't someone arrange it?

Iron Attack (STAGE 1) - Devil Engine (PC, NS, PS4)
SHMUPs have been on a major comeback over the past few years. At $20, Devil Engine costs more than most games in digital shops but I can tell you that this one is well worth the money. It's also really freaking hard. As if the shoot 'em up action weren't great all on it's own, the game boasts incredible visuals and an absolute banger of a soundtrack.

Ancient Zone - Street Fighter EX3 (PS2)
I really like the music in Street Fighter IV as well as Street Fighter V. But can we get the sound crew behind the EX games to make some more amazing Street Fighter jams again? I've always felt the EX games got far more flak than they deserved but no one will dis the music. Listen to that violin! Ugggghhhhhhhhhh, so goooooooood!!!

How to Play - Super Smash Bros. (N64)
Hearing music from the original Super Smash Bros. makes me feel so nostalgic. Hard to believe the series is 20 years old now. A great deal of the first Smash's music is in Ultimate. Sadly, this theme is not. Just hearing it brings memories of Mario beating the crap out of Luigi in the tutorial.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: