Search This Blog

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Byleth Joins Ultimate and the Salt is Realer than Real


At 8:59 AM, my phone's alarm went off. I wanted to be ready for the reveal of the final fighter for the first wave of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighter Pass. Who would it be? Some were speculating that it would be Dante from Devil May Cry. Despite not playing a single game in that series, I thought he would have been a cool addition to the Ultimate roster. However, people's hopes for Dant were quickly dashed when Sakurai revealed the character was Byleth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

How did I react upon seeing this?


Every time I think of Byleth getting revealed, I bust out with laughter. Members of the Smash fanbase have let their disdain for the amount of Fire Emblem reps be known. Byleth's inclusion has given them something else to be salty about. I can already hear some fans cursing Sakurai's name. The really extreme fans are probably saying that this is so bad that they will never buy another Smash game, even though Byleth is completely optional. Sakurai saying "I hope there are no hard feelings" before the final reveal and that smug smile as he put the Byleth posters up? That man knew people were gonna be mad.

Some folks are taking things a bit too far, however. Take this article from ccn. Not only does the writer call Byleth "another wasted slot,"as well as a "mistake," but also calls into question the whole first Fighter Pass as a whole and thinks fans should be hesitant on picking up the second Fighter Pass. So due to one character that "nobody wanted," players that bought the Fighter Pass got robbed and and shouldn't feel hopeful about the next Fighter Pass that will contain six characters? If I roll my eyes any harder, they'll pop out. The writer of that article comes across as an entitled brat.

People wanted Ridley? Sakurai gave them Ridley. People wanted King K. Rool? They got King K. Roo as well as Joker, Banjo-Kazooie and the entire cast that has been in every Smash leading up to Ultimate. To get so butthurt over another Fire Emblem rep when the roster will have close to 90 characters when finished is silly to me. Sakurai and his team have worked so hard, bending over backwards to make Ultimate be the phenomenal game it is so I think they have more than earned the right to add characters they want.

Byleth looks like a slow, but fun character. I like that he/she has three weapons and isn't just limited to a sword, putting a dent in the whole "another sword character" argument. I haven't played Fire Emblem: Three Houses, but Byleth's reveal was a reminder that I need to pick that game up.


Concerning the stuff that isn't about Byleth, the Cuphead Mii Gunner costume is looking super clean and could pass for a full blown character, much like the Sans costume. I'm happy to see Mega Man X Mii Gunner returning as well as MegaMan.EXE. I can't wait to see videos of  Rabbids hats on people's Mii's. You know the montage videos are already coming.

If you feed on people's salt, you'll be feasting for some time to come because Byleth's reveal made the sodium flow like wine.

Oh and I am all about that blue alt for Byleth. That will be the main color I choose whenever I play that character.

EDIT: It turns out Nintendo has a big say in what characters can be added to the game. Regardless, my I stand by everything I said above.

No comments: