Search This Blog

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Virtual Console Purchases 1

I LOVE going shopping on the Virtual Console. Being a huge old-school gamer, hopping on the Wii's Shop Channel and heading for the Virtual Console is an experience on the same level as walking into a shop full of retro video games.

Whenever I shop for VC games, whether I have 2000 points or more, it always takes me forever to decided. I'm not kidding when I say I've spent more than an hour and a half shopping for games. Since I picked up my Wii late in the game, and I don't mind owing a digital copy of a game I own a physical copy of, the VC has a lot to offer me. Also, the Wii Shop Channel music is just so catchy! If every store had that tune, no one would ever leave. Ever. Anyway, here's what I bought.

ALIEN SOLDIER, GENESIS

I've been on a huge Treasure kick lately, listening to Treasure music on my MP3 player, going so far as to make a playlist of 34 songs from Treasure games. I've also had Gunstar Heroes on the brain a lot (I'll probably write a review for it in the near future) and I figured it was time to add another Treasure game to my library. Alien Soldier is one of those games that was exclusive to Japanese Mega Drive owners but now everyone can see what the fuss is about thanks to the VC. From what I've read, the game is more or less one big boss rush mode and a pretty hard one at that.



MEGA MAN X, SNES


I was as giddy as a school girl when I heard Mega Man X, my all-time favorite X game was hitting the VC in America. I own the SNES original cartridge, the Mega Man X Collection on PS2 and now a digital version of the game. You can expect a review of this game very soon and let's hop X2 and X3 aren't far off.







THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: OCARINA OF TIME, N64

What would you say if I told you that Ocarina of Time was only the third N64 game I bought on the VC? No big deal. There are only 21 N64 games on the VC total. Well what would you say if I told you I had not played Ocarina of Time since I finished in 1998? Yes, Virgina, I have not played one of the greatest games ever created in over 10 years. With Ocarina of Time hitting the 3DS next month and this year making the 25th Anniversary of the Zelda series, this is the perfect time to get reacquainted with this masterpiece. This reminds me, I still need to finish Wind Waker.

RIVER CITY RANSOM, NES


River City Ransom is on of the few beat 'em ups with RPG elements. When you kick the crap out of jobbers, they drop money. That money can be used to go into town and buy food, martial arts skills and comic books. Now that stuff is pretty righteous in and of itself but how many brawlers let you pound on evil doers and get "BARF!" as a response out of them? RCR alone is worth buying for that. I got this on VC just so I wouldn't have to deal with those aggravatingly long passwords on the NES cartridge. Fun fact: I paid $15 for a used copy of this years go.

BLASTER MASTER, NES


Widely touted as one of the best games on the NES, the original Blaster Master is often hailed as the definitive version. I never got around to completing this game when I bought it for $10 back in 1999, but I hope I'll be able to fix that now.

















MEGA MAN, NES


I already picked up Mega Man 2-4 on the VC so it was only a matter of time before I bought the game that started it all for the Blue bomber. Despite the bugs, this is still a fine action/platform game and in many people's eyes, one of the most difficult titles in the whole series.

















Total Virtual Console Games Bought: 6
Time Spent on Wii Shop Channel: 2 hours and 2 minutes.

No comments: