Search This Blog

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Favorite Tunes #235: Ebb & Flow

The arcade and Switch platforms are getting a lot of love this week and we close things out with one of my favorite arrangements from the best remixers around, the Pixel Mixers.


Decisive Battle II - Octopath Traveler (NS)
The game that has taken Square Enix by surprise and sold out, Octopath Traveler is a game I've been wanting to check out since it was revealed back in 2017. The visual style takes me back to when I was heavily invested into RPGS back on the SNES. I've stayed away from a lot of RPGs over the years due to the games really eating up time, but if I'm gonna dump 250 hours and counting into Splatoon 2, I really have no excuse to avoid the genre any longer. If just one of the battle themes is this sick, I cannot wait to play this game and hear more of what is sounding like a glorious soundtrack.

Ebb & Flow (Off the Hook) Splatoon 2 (NS)
And speaking of Splatoon 2, here it is showing up in Favorite Tunes. Again. I don't just love Splatoon 2 but I love it as a whole franchise. I've got some plushies and I've got the first three volumes of the manga. Some material from Splatoon 2 has inked its way into volume 3 of the manga so when I get to that book (my manga backlog is insane), I think I'll listen to some beats from this game while I read.

Game Start ~ BGM 1 - Aqua Jack (AC)
And here we have a another track with "BGM 1" as part of the title. Sometimes I wonder what could be going through a composer's head when they write music. Well, uninspired name aside, the track itself is pretty friggin' good, but this a Taito game (published by Romstar), so that's a given.

Boss 1 - Night Striker (AC)
I've been listening to my ZUNTATA playlist as of late (you aren't a VGM lover unless you have one) so I've had a lot of Night Striker beats playing in my head. I didn't know it was possible to love a soundtrack this much to a game you haven't even played, but Night Striker's soundtrack is just that amazing. This track has a little eerie buildup before exploding into the main boss theme.

A Resident of Terrible (Round 2) - Rolling Thunder 2 (AC)
Ayako Saso is a wonderfully tallented video game song writter, having her hand in all of the Street Fighter EX series, as well as the Fighter Layer titles. It was a pleasant surprise to see her named attached to Rolling Thunder 2.I thought it would be nice to tone things down a bit and relax before we rock out with the send off.

Edgar & Sabin - Final Fantasy VI: World's Requiem 
The Pixel Mixers are some of the best out there when it comes to video game arrangements. This year alone they've manged to put out several impressive albums with the king of the crop being Final Fantasy VI: World's Requiem. The entire three disc digital album is nothing short of outstanding but if I had to pick one track to rule them all, it would have to be Edgar & Sabin. Having listened to this track countless times, it has become my favorite arrangement of this theme.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: