Search This Blog

Saturday, October 17, 2020

VGM Saturdays #283: Keeping it Mostly, Definitely Old School

Music from this week's selection is most from gaming of days gone by but I did manage to squeeze a modern track in there. Which is an arrangement from an old game. *Shrug*

Open Your Eyes (Stage 1) - Zero Wing (ARC)

I had to do a search to find out the last time I posted a song from Zero Wing. It has been almost two years since I posted a song from any version of Zero Wing. Man. I know I put this feature on hiatus but that is still far too long to go without music from this game. New Day for Me is probably my favorite theme from Zero Wing but I cannot deny that Open Your Eyes is almost equally as good and is a great track to kick off the game. Those of you that are fans of the Mega Drive and PCE version, I'll get around to posting those. Eventually. 

Cosmic Desert - Tobal No.1 (PS)

Before FINAL FANTASY VII made Square a powerhouse on the PS, there was Tobal No.1 a 3D fighter that had a quest mode where you roamed dungeons. Ironically, the game came with a demo for the game that would make RPGs go mainstream. I remember Tobal for the Akira Toriyama character designs and the soundtrack, which I really should post more of. Hmm. That's getting to be a theme here this week.

Hurry! - FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE (PS4)

2020, awful year that it was, did not stop FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE from releasing. The first installment of it, anyway. Yes, irritating as it is, the remake that was announced in 2015 will release in parts. Given Square Enix's track record for releasing much anticipated games and factor in COVID-19 making a mess of everything, there is no telling when the next part of FFVIIR will release. Hurry! was a big favorite of mine from the original FFVII and I love the remake version almost as much.

Choco Mountain - Mario Kart 64 (N64)

I gotta say it: better Mario Kart games have followed since the first two entries. But for a good, long while, Mario Kart 64 was my jam. And that soundtrack? Perfection. At first I confused this theme for that of Moo Moo Farm, which is a very good song, but I would choose Choco Mountain over it any day.

Main Menu - Ridge Racer 64 (N64)

When one thinks of Ridge Racer, the N64 entry probably isn't the first game to spring to mind. Even the music isn't on the same level as other entries. Even so, there are some good songs in Ridge Racer 64. I was going to pick one of the songs you hear on the race track but then I remembered how good the Main Menu theme was so, here we are.

Hello, Happy Kingdom - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)

It has been a hot minute since I posted a track from Super Mario RPG. The game has such grand compositions from Yoko Shimomura. She arranges classic Mario and a few FINAL FANTASY tracks throughout the game. And as much as I love Weapons Factory and Battle with Culex, Hello, Happy Kingdom just popped into my head. Besides, I'm pretty sure I did Weapons Factory way back when.

VGM Saturdays Database

No comments: