Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Mario Goes Super Saiyan

No. No, I will not apologize for the title of this one. Every single one of us one thinking that when Mario's new, golden cat form was revealed during the Bowser's Fury Trailer. I am all aboard the Super Saiyan Mario train.

I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am that Super Mario 3D World is finally hitting the Switch. Like, no joke, 3D World is one of the best Super Mario titles. Sadly, it has been the subject of much criticism over the years. This is partially due to the game releasing on the Wii U, one of Nintendo's biggest blunders. But I believe the main reason for 3D World being slept on is that it wasn't some super big, mind blowing 3D Mario game that Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy and later Super Mario Odyssey turned out to be. I guess I can see where people are coming from with that view. However, even without being a sandbox or galaxy hoping game, 3D World is still phenominal.

What you get with 3D World is an expansive, super fun, challenging (sometimes to the point of frustrating) game that will keep you entertained for hours on end. 3D World is dripping with quality level design. One minute you're dashing through a Super Mario Kart themed course, complete with a remixed track from said game, the next you're making your way through a Goomba infested, ancient style, Japanese castle. The only times levels ever feel like a retread is when you reach the special worlds and that's only about two out of the four worlds.

It has been a few years since I've run through 3D World and as stoked as I am to do it again, I'm more jazzed that the game will get the attention it deserves on the Switch. I know some folks are sick of the Wii U ports to the Switch but again, the Wii U was a failed system so many of these ports are new for a lot of people. 

Of course when you pick up 3D World on the Switch, that won't be all you're getting. Bowser's Fury is also included and it looks more in line with 2017's Super Mario Odyssey than it does 3D World. OK so Cappy isn't in Bowser's Fury but the more flexible camera angle places it more in line with the sandbox Super Mario games.

I do wonder how long of a game Bowser's Fury will be, though. Like, is it gonna be a multi-world spanning adventure? I don't think so. Regardless of the length, I am looking forward to teaming up with Bowser Jr. and stopping his dad's rampage. Speaking of daddy dearest, man, is Bowser peeved in this game. Like, the dragon-turtle king woke up and decided he was gonna kill everything. Gotta admit, I do like seeing the koopa king cut loose. If there's an even harder mode where it is more difficult to evade Bowser's assault, I'm all for it. Maybe not the actual playing of it, but I'm always up to see some YouTubers suffer for my amusement. 

And we gotta talk more about Mario's Super Saiyan cat form. You cannot tell me that the designers of that supped up cat suit were not inspired by Dragon Ball. I mean, you can, but that's not gonna stop the legions of fans and memers from calling it Super Saiyan Mario. Mr. Video Game was long overdue to get some sort of Super Saiyan homage. Sonic the Hedgehog has had his Super Sonic form, which is an undeniable homage to the Super Saiyan transformation in Dragon Ball since 1992! You're late to the party, Mario but at least you arrived. 

No comments: