Search This Blog

Saturday, January 7, 2023

VGM Saturdays Vol. 2. No. 001

I'm doing something I've thought about doing for a long time now: starting VGM (Video Game Music) Saturdays fresh. The original had a good run and as much as I love milestone numbers, the landscape of game music has changed a lot over the past decade on YouTube and I'd like for Volume 2 to reflect that. This means that whenever possible, official track uploads will be embedded from YouTube here. Of course, there's a lot of game music that isn't on YouTube officially and Nintendo still refuses to get with the freaking times and post their music like other game companies do, whuch has made me question whether I should even post unofficial video embedding of their music. In the end, I decided to post what I can from the Big N while it is available. 

Since we're starting over, you'll see music from the original run of VGM Saturdays along with a slew of new music. The world of game music is vast and I hope more and more of it will be officially posted on streaming sites and apps. Get ready for arrangements from musicians all over the globe. We're opening up the floodgates, baby.

Vol. 2 of VGM Saturdays begins now.

Cyber Space 1-2: Flowing - Sonic Frontiers (Multi)

Sonic games pretty much always have soundtracks that are bursting with top quality jams. But dang, son, the music in Sonic Frontiers, even by the series exceptional standards, is truly something special. The open zone areas have calming piano music, led by piano pieces while the Cyber Space levels are high energy tracks designed to push you onward. I think pretty much everyone can agree that Cyber Space 1-2 is a certified banger of a song. I've seen streamers that have never played a Sonic game say this one track is fire. You want a track that's gonna get you moving, Flowing is it. Good lucking getting that S rank!

Deceptive Paradise (Megaman 8) (Opening Stage) - Metallool

It isn't perfect but I really like Mega Man 8. One of my favorite songs is the Opening Stage. Metatllool has been on YouTube for years but I didn't become aware of him until a few months back. He's done some really good video game arrangements and I'm especially impressed with his work on this piece. The guitar solo and piano solos are just everything in this song for me. Do yourself a favor and subscribe to him on YouTube and follow him on Spotify. Guy deserves way more love than he's getting.

Ground Theme (From "Super Mario Bros. 2") - Lofi Lia

Some of the game music I listen to most frequently is on the more soothing, relaxing side of things. I love a pulse pounding beach as much as the next person, but sometimes you just want some music to chill to. Over the past few years, lofi has become one of my favorite genres, so expect to see more lofi music recommendations from me either with soundtracks or right here on VGM Saturdays. This interepiritation of Super Mario Bros. 2's famous Ground Theme is by the amazingly talented Lofi Lia. Follow her on Spotify and subscribe to her on YouTube if you haven't already.

Penny's Song (English Version) - WarioWare: Get It Together! (NSW)

A year ago, Nintendo did something crazy: they uploaded one of their very own music tracks to YouTube. This is one of, if not the only time I'll post a track that Nintendo, the company that is super stingy with their game music, has chosen to actually share with the world. Man, it sure would be nice if Nintendo did this with, I dunno, all of their music. Anyhoo, Penny's Song is a bop. I've posted the English version but Nintendo has it up in Spanish as well. 

OCTOPATH TRAVELER -Main Theme- - Octopath Traveler (NSW, PC, XBO)

Originally released as Nintendo Switch exclusive, Octopath Traveler wound up being a surprise success, to SQUARE ENIX, anyway. It turns out fans are quite hungry for retro inspired RPGs with modern game design. Who knew? The game would later be ported to PC and Xbox One. Why Sony platforms got left out in the cold, I have no idea, especially when the sequel is set to release next month and land the Switch and PS4 and PS5 respectively. Even if you haven't played the game yet, do yourself a huge favor and let your ears get to hear the game's soundtrack. 


Roar of Dedede - Kirby and the Forgotten Land - FamilyJules

King Dedede's theme has been a series staple since the very first Kirby game. The composers at HAL have managed to refine and reinvent the track on numerous occasions. For Kirby's big 30th anniversary game, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, they decided to go hard. No, like, really, really freaking HARD. I don't know what I was expecting before I fought D3, but a rock/metal version of his theme was not it. FamilyJules added even more metal to this track. There have been numerous covers of this theme since the game dropped but this one really stands out to me.

VGM Saturdays Vol. 2 Database

No comments: