Search This Blog

Saturday, January 14, 2023

VGM Saturdays Vol. 2 No. 002

Normally, I would go with all winter themed music for this time of year and I had very much considered going that route, but as I as compiling tracks for this week's music, it had completely slipped my mind to include all cold type music. So enjoy the very mild selection of winter tracks this week.

Walking the Beat - Cosmic Star Heroine (Multi)

I was recommended this game by a good friend of mine, so I scooped it up on PS4 and never got around to playing it. When it came out for the Switch, I bought it for that system. Neeeeeveeeeer got around to playing it. What I did get around to is listening to the soundtrack or some of it, at least and it is very impressive stuff. I probably should get around to playing the game at some point.

Greenpath (From "Hollow Knight") - Hollow Knight Lofi - Collosia

The indie scene is overrun with Metroidvania games. Hollow Knight manages to stand out from the pack with a huge map, tough bosses and highly memorable areas to explore. Oh and the music is all kinds of awesome, with some of the very best in relaxing musical pieces coming from this game. One of my favorite tribute albums is Collosia's Hollow Knight Lofi. The album is up on Spotify as well as YouTube.

Snowy Mammoth - Ape Escape Origineape Soundtracks

I often think of how Nintendo and SEGA are so neglectful of their IPs but Sony isn't much better. How long has the Ape Escape IP been rotting away in an attic? Those of you that have played the original Ape Escape might be familiar with this track. The first Ape Escape hit the PS in 1999 and would get a PSP port in 2011. The music here is from the PSP port and its been enhanced. While I do prefer the original PS music, the PSP port does a commendable job on one of my favorite tracks.

[GBA] Terminal Velocity (Act 1) - Sonic Colors [Sonic Advance 3 Style] - JX

I was fighting the urge to include a track from Sonic Frontiers this week. You have no idea how much I freaking love that soundtrack. So I made a compromise by including a Sonic track from a different Sonic game with a different sound font. This is the first of many JX arrangements. Who is JX? A super cool composer that does bang up work on retro video game covers. Bet you never knew how much you needed Sonic Colors' Terminal Velocity Act 1 with the Sonic Advance 3 instruments in your life until you heard it.

DANCIN' SWORD - Star Ocean (SFC)

In late October a bunch of the Star Ocean soundtracks officially made their way to Spotify and YouTube. Hooray! More SQUARE ENIX music to listen to without worrying about it being removed. When I found out Star Ocean music was on Spotify, I immediately added this to my SQUARE ENIX battle music play list. The enhanced version from First Depature is really nice and all but I looooove the Super Famicom original.

Next Chapter - Tetris Effect (Multi)

Tetris Effect was one of those coveted games I wished would make it to the Switch. It just seemed like one of those games that was a perfect fit for the system. Once again, the waiting game paid off. In 2021, the game came to the Switch under the name Tetris Effect: Connected. A physical version was released in 2022. Like the cool visuals, the music plays a large part of the game's appeal. Changes in the songs are based on the player's progress. You'll have to clear a certain amount of lines before the claps kick in on this track.

VGM Saturdays Vol. 2 Database

No comments: