Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Game Over Part 2

Its an old-school affair in this week's Game Over with games ranging from the 8 and 16-bit eras.

Friday the 13th (NES)



Wait, not only did you die but your friends died too? They certainly aren't sugarcoating this one. Friday the 13th is yet another crappy licensed NES game but that game over screen is all kinds of stone cold.

Mega Man (NES)



I honed my Mega Man skills on Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 3. Those games were difficult for me to be sure, but they paled in comparison to the challenge the original Mega Man brought forth. I'm quite adept at Mega Man games now, but I always end up staring at this screen whenever I go back to playing the title that birthed the series. A humble blue screen accompanied by my personal favorite Mega Man Game Over jingle. Novice players will get this screen many a time.

Sonic the Hedgehog (GEN)



What's worse than losing your last life? Losing it at a boss fight, particularly in the original Sonic the Hedgehog. Each boss confrontation is a face off against the game's big bad, Dr. Robotnik and he always has a smug face to show you whenever you fail. It especially stings when he flashes that kisser during a Game Over, complete with a downer version of the game's title theme.

Street Fighter II (Multi)



After receiving a sound thrashing by your opponent and having them taunt you on your lack of skills, you can choose to continue or give up. As the counter ticks down to zero, you see your choosen fighter battered and bruised. Once that zero hits, you hear them let out one final cry of defeat. Its actually a little wince inducing to hear. Since Balrog, Vega, Sagat and M. Bison caused me no end of grief as a child, I don't get too broken up when I see their bloodied faces.

 Awesome Possum (GEN, SNES)



Remember Awesome Possum? Yeah, I didn't think so. He was another one of those mascots with attitude that never took off during the platformer ruled era of the 1990s. When AP bites the big one, I'm assuming his enemies took the liberty of burring what was left of him. I say his enemies because I don't see any friends mourning his loss. Even the game's antagonists didn't view him as a worthy adversary. They buried him, sure, but they laid him to rest in a dump. That rat is just look for his next meal so you know he can't be bothered to care about some D-list platform hero.

1 comment:

Tom Badguy said...

SF2 Game Over has always been one of the best.