Search This Blog

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Super Smash Bros. Songs to Smash To: Mario Edition



The fourth entry in the Super Smash Bros. series was announced some time ago and the reveal trailer hit the web during this year's E3. With Smash fever reaching new heights once again, this is the perfect time to break out a new feature as we wait for the game's 2014 release.

Super Smash Bros. had a good soundtrack. Super Smash Bros. Melee had a great soundtrack with arrangements of classic themes and those of long forgotten and lesser known Nintendo titles. Super Smash Bros. Brawl had a soundtrack that was so unfathomably awesome that there's no way it could be entered into a contest for best video game soundtracks because all other entries would be destroyed by it's god-like score. That's just how broken it is. With the new Super Smash Bros. in development for the Wii U and 3DS, I could daydream about all the songs I'd love to smack Jigglypuff around to, but I figure, why not share them with you?

Songs to Smash To is a feature in which I'll list some character-related songs I think should be in the next Super Smash Bros. This first installment is all about Mr. Video Game, Mario.

Yoshi's Island

I was please that a selection of tracks from one of the SNES best platformers made it into Brawl in arranged form. But there was one glaring omission: Koopa. How on Earth was this song not included? It's one of Nintendo's best final boss themes and a fine example of Koji Kondo once again rocking out. Koopa NEEDs to be in the next Smash. The original or a remix. Personally, I'd love to have both. While they're at it, they need to add Castle and Fortress to the mix and ditto for Underground and Big Boss. 

Super Mario World

The Evil Koopa King (The Evil King Bowser), the final boss track of Super Mario World would be great to listen to as you triple jump your way back from certain doom and connect the Smash Attack to send you opponent blasting off again. Better still, why not use the Fortune Street arrangement? For my money, that's the best arrangement of the tune. I'd play 1000 Vs. matches jut to unlock it!

Super Mario RPG

Yoko Shimomura's music is begging to be used in Smash. Everyone wants Beware the Forest Mushrooms, but I think Weapons Factory is more than worthy of being included. Arrangements of the Smithy Battle themes, Fight against Smithy, and Fight Against Smithy, Who Likes Transforming would certainly be welcomed. 

Super Mario 64

I love the Main Theme of Super Mario 64 as much as the next guy and I'd love to see it return in the new Smash game. Let's give Slider some love along with Koopa's Road. Speaking of Koopa's Road, the Mario & Sonic at the Winter/London 2012 Olympic Games arrangement is just begging to be used in a Smash game. And I'll take Ultimate Koopa or an arrangement of it, please.

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy has one of my favorite gaming soundtracks so I'd be perfectly with some original songs from this game and no remixes. So the songs I'd love to see included from this game are Battle Rock Galaxy, Gusty Garden Galaxy, Space Junk Galaxy, Purple Comet, Melty Molten Galaxy, Bowser's Galaxy Reactor, and Nemesis Bowser. And of course, Super Mario 2007.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

More wonderful orchestral Mario music goodness. I may love the first Galaxy more than Galaxy 2, but this is still a great game with some fantastic music. My picks from this game are Sky Station Galaxy, Cloudy Court Galaxy, Spin-Dig Galaxy, Space Storm Galaxy, and Time Attack.


New Super Mario Bros.

There are two tracks I'd really love to see from this game make it into the new Smash. The Overworld Versus Mode theme, which I actually like better than the single player Overworld music and the Castle music. Throw in the Fortune Street arranged version and we're golden.

Mario Kart 7

Blue Shell annoyance aside, this is one of my top entries in the Mario Kart series for many reasons, chief among them being the audio. I think it's a given to see some form of a Mario Kart track make it in the new Smash and so I'd really like to hear Neo Bowser City, Rainbow Road, Rock Mountain, Bowser's Castle, and the Staff Credits theme.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

This game has SO many good battle themes. Would't it be killer to have an arranged medley of  Come On!, Come On, Again!, and Rookie and PoppleThe Last Cackletta could be it's own separate arrangement.

Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins

Hey, if the first Super Mario Land got some lovin' in the sound department in Brawl, there's no reason it's sequel shouldn't. I'll take remixes Athletic, Tree Top, Star Maze and Wario's Castle.

Mario's Picross

An arranged version of 3D Hot Rally's Title theme made it as an unlockable song in Brawl. I'm willing to bet only a handful of people even know of the existence of that Famicom Disk game. No reason why Mario's Picross, another lesser known Mario game shouldn't get some of it's music featured in the new Smash. BGM 5 was pretty much all I listened to when solving puzzles in this game, so I'd be ecstatic to play on a level where this song can be used. I'd even settle for a mix of it with BGM 2.

3 comments:

Chris Clash said...

My favourite Mario Picross' theme was BGM 2 :)

Chris Clash said...

Wow. I didn't know Fortune Street had such an amazing soundtrack.

Reggie White Jr. said...

BGM 2 in Mario's Picross is another tune I'll gladly listen to as I chip away those blocks. It's no BGM 5, but it's still good.

I was quite surprised by the number of good arrangements in Fortune Street. Makes me wanna play the game even more now.