Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Favorite Tunes #146: Short and Sweet

Don't have a lot of time to listen to same video game music today? No problem! This edition of Favorite Tunes is on the short side with themes that don't take long to loop around.

Battle Mode - Super Bomberman (SNES)



Some of my fondest childhood and teenage memories involve blowing up my friends in Super Bomberman's ridiculously fun battle mode. The classic Battle Mode theme is used in most Bomberman games and while it has been remixed to death, the short looping SNES version is the best, at least for me.

Character Select (CPS I) - Street Fighter II (ARC)



Back in my day, Street Fighter games came with an arcade mode! OK, all jabs at Street Fighter V aside, this is an awesome character select theme, but I don't need to tell you that. Anyone that was there for the Street Fighter II craze is more than familiar with this tune. My entry into Street Fighter II was with the SNES version. The music from the arcade version wouldn't get stuck in my head until well after a decade of the game's release.

Boss - Mega Man 2 (NES)



Mega Man 2 soundtrack is so darn good that it is often labeled as some of the best video game music of all time. While the original Mega Man had two boss themes, Mega Man 2 has only one but its so good, that you won't mind hearing it over and over again. It's an intense piece of music that also makes you wanna head bop.

Stage Select - Mega Man 8 (PS, SAT)



Moving on from one Mega Man game to another, people like to bemoan Mega Man 8 for not being an 8-bit game. Mega Man 8 certainly isn't flawless, but there's a good game under the so-bad-its-good voice acting and really like a lot of Mega Man 8's music and I love the chill vibe of this stage select theme so much.

Title Screen - Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)



Oh Super Mario 3D World, I love you so. The game's levels are many, the Cat Suit is crazy awesome and the music is on the level of greatness of the Super Mario Galaxy titles. Super Mario 3D World's Main Theme is the kinda music that you can't help but smile to. If I ever do a top 10 for Super Mario Title themes, expect this one to be pretty high on the list.

Select - Virtua Racing Deluxe (32X)



We have a rare treat, an entry from a 32X game. A port of SEGA's popular Virtua Racing, the music survived the trip to the add-on device pretty well. Virtua Racing had jingles a plenty but the one I remember the most was the Select theme. I would always hold off on making my picks just to hear the music. The 32X version ain't too shabby.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: