Search This Blog

Saturday, April 13, 2019

Favorite Tunes #262: Back to Saturdays

Favorite Tunes is back, back in the usual Saturday slot and I plan to keep it that way. Enjoy this week's selection.

Dark Forest Area 1 - Odallus: The Dark Call (PC, NS, PS4, XBO)
This Castlevania inspired indie title really took me by surprise and I'll have more to say about it in a Re-Releases post. The soundtrack is catchy and moody and a few tracks remind of of the Ninja Gaiden NES trilogy as well as the earlier Castlevania titles. 

Genesis ~Causing~ (Brave Men's Theme) - Gain Ground (ARC)
Gain Ground recently released on the Switch via the SEGA AGES line. It isn't what I was expecting but I don't regret purchasing it. SEGA arcade games usually have outstanding music and Gain Ground is no exception.

Ambush [BGM2] - Crack Down (ARC)
From one SEGA arcade game to another. There are a lot of games in SEGA's catalog that I've yet to play that I'd love to and some of them are based off the soundtrack alone. I'm a sucker for some good FM synth and Crack Down's soundtrack, although there isn't a wealth of it, has that in spades. Maybe M2 can work their magic and give us the arcade version someday.

Inside the Inverted Pyramid  - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
Super Mario Odyssey brought back the much anticipated sandbox style gameplay of Super Mario games, something that was missing from the series since 2002's Super Mario Sunshine. That alone was awesome but the addition of more liner areas to explore and platform through and Mario's new ally, Cappy, whom Mario can use to capture various enemies, makes Odyssey one of the greatest Super Mario games in the past decade. The soundtrack is also kinda baller.

Rainbow Palace - Bomberman 64 (N64)
Sadly, we didn't get any Bomberman music on Snake's stage in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Still, its hard for me to gripe when Snake got an awesome selection of tracks and new remixes. Unlike Cloud's Midgar stage because Square Enix is so dang stingy. Besides, Bomberman is an Assist Trophy and a pretty good one and it always makes me happy seeing him show up on the battlefield.

Spring (It's a Big World Outside) - Stardew Valley (PC, PS4, XBO, NS)
Spring has sprung and all that jazz. Stardew Valley has been out for some time now but I've yet to get around to playing it. I think I'd have a good time with this game on the Switch so I'll eventually get around to picking it up. I have, however, listened to the soundtrack and it has some of my favorite relaxing, soothing, peaceful jams and has quickly become one of my go-to soundtracks for mellowing out.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: