Search This Blog

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Favorite Tunes #263: Joker Steals the Show

For the five of you that were not aware, Joker dropped in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on Wednesday. He's a pretty fun character and I very much love the selection of music that he brought with him. Along with music from Persona 5, there's music from Cuphead, Yoshi's Crafted World as well as the super hard SHMUP, Devil Engine.

Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There - Persona 5 (PS3, PS4)
You know what I love about the Super Smash Bros. games (among many other things, that is)? They often serve as a gateway to other games or other game soundtracks. With Joker having finally dropped in Ultimate, that means more music joining the game's already superb soundtrack. As happy as I am to have Last Surprise be one of the songs on Joker's stage, this is shaping up to be one of my favorite tunes from Persona 5. Which reminds me, I should probably get around to listening to that game's soundtrack. Along with playing the game.

Elder Kettle - Cuphead (PC, XBO, NS)
The duo of Cuphead and Mugman have arrived on the Switch and I am loving it. I've died plenty of times already but I haven't had the urge to break my Switch yet. I'm still in the early stages of the game so I imagine the difficulty will pick up soon enough. And that throwback jazz soundtrack is just soooooo gooooood!

Waku Waku - Yoshi's Crafted World (NS)
Yoshi's Woolly World just may be a my favorite Yoshi game. After trying out the demo for Yoshi's Crafted World back in February, I was excited to get my hands on the finished product and it is just the kind of fun and adorableness one would expect from a Yoshi game.

First Attack - Thunder Cross (ARC)
Thunder Cross is one of the games on the Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection that I never played prior to purchasing the compilation. It definitely takes several cues from the Gradius games but still feels like its own game. Like the Gradius titles, Thunder Cross is plentiful with catchy music.

Katana ZERO - Katana ZERO (PC, NS)
I'm not sure what it was about April 18th, but every just decided to let all of their games release on that day. Cuphead, Hell is Other Demons, Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection and Katana ZERO, a game where you play as an assassin who makes kills in style. You can slow down time to deflect bullets or pick up objects to hurl at your targets. One very nice touch about this game is that each time a level begins, your characters turns on some music to listen to. Even assassins got kill to some sick beats.

Jazzy NNYC (STAGE 2) - Devil Engine (PC, PS4, NS)
There are so many wonderful games that have dropped this past week alone that I feel bad for neglecting the games I haven't finished. Devil Engine feels like a love letter to Technosoft's Thunder Force game from the ship design and the power up system. The game looks and sounds magnificent. I haven't even progressed far enough to hear the game's entire soundtrack and I already love it.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: