Search This Blog

Saturday, October 10, 2020

VGM Saturdays #282: New Name, Same Game

Favorite Tunes is no more. Say hello to VGM Saturdays! Basically Favorite Tunes under a different name. I considered starting over with a new #1 but too many comic books do that and I like those high numbers I've built up over the years, so the legacy numbers stay. 

The new title also marks the return of me regularly posting my favorite video game music on a weekly basis. The last time I did this was back in February. In the place of it was VGM Soundtrack of the Day, which I did less of when I went back to work and then halted all together. I may revive that feature someday. For now, enjoy VGM Saturdays. Music is now embedded right here on this very page. So just lick the YouTube play button and let the good tunes roll.

Replay - SEGA AGES Virtua Racing (NSW)

Virtua Racing Deluxe, released on the SEGA 32X came with a system exclusive song, Replay. This song was an absolute banger. Well now you can listen to that banger in the sound font of the arcade version of Virtua Racing via the Switch SEGA AGES release. All racing replay music in racing games should use this theme.

1991 - Hotshot Racing (NSW, PS4, XBO, PC)

A racing game clearly inspired by the early '90s polygonal racers. 2020 has sucked so I welcome anything that takes me back in time for a bit. And thankfully, Hotshot Racing plays as great as it looks. The game's soundtrack is very SEGA-esque so you can expect me to pick more tracks from this game in the future. 

USA - Panzer Paladin (NSW, PC)

Mechs, waifus, rad 8-bit style visuals and tons of different weapons to arm yourself with! What more could you ask for? The action is a bit more slow paced but more often than not, you're required to be quick on the controls or be dead. Panzer Paladin's music had me from the intro. USA is a theme that is stuck in my head in part to how many times I played the level (it was tough for me, OK?) and because it is such a good tune.

Garden of Hope - Pikmin 3 (Wii U)

If you missed out on Pikmin 3 (most did due to the system it was on), you're in luck. The game is coming to the Switch at the end of this month under the title Pikmin 3 Deluxe. This song is in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate but I don't think I've ever really paid much attention to it until I played the demo of Pikmin 3 Deluxe. It really is a smooth jam.

Enemy's Arsenal (Mission 2) - Sol-Feace (X68000)

Sol-Feace (Sol-Deace depending on which version and region you played) was released on multiple systems. I first came to know of it from the SEGA Genesis version. I like the soundtrack across all versions but when I'm in the mood for some chiptune Sol-Feace, the X68000 hits the spot. Mission 2 is my favorite track across all versions of the game. 

The Commissioner - Streets of Rage 4 (NSW, PS4, XBO, PC)

Streets of Rage came back with a vengeance. This just might be the SoR to top SoR2. There are new and old characters to play as and since this is a SoR game, of course the music is fire. This is one one of my three favorite boss tracks, the others will pop up in VGM Saturdays all in good time.

VGM Saturdays Database

No comments: