Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Steve: The Best Kind of Stupid Fun You Can Have


Man. I still cannot believe that Steve from Minecraft is in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Well, that's not entirely true. After using Steve for a few weeks, I guess I can kinda believe it but it still seems like some fever dream. Yes, I'm well aware that term has probably been used and abused ad infant-em in regards to Minecraft Steve in Smash Ultimate, but him being here along with Alex, Zombie and Enderman is best summed up as just that, a fever dream. 

Now that Steve and his fellow blocky companions are in Smash, I gotta agree with Chocotopus: this character is stupid. If you haven't seen the Smash YouTuber's video, basically Steve and the gang are stupid in a good way, hence the title of this blog post. If you are looking to have stupid fun in Ultimate, look no further than Steve or one of his alts. 

One of the best things about Steve is his constantly stoic expression. It does not matter what happens to him, the look on his face does not change, ever. That makes those flashing zoom ins when he is knocked out or lands the killing blow ring of heavy indifference to whatever the outcome. 

In a game where each character has a vast array of moves out their disposal, Steve is loaded for war. There's giving characters the tools to succeed and then there's giving them the facility that makes said tools. Behind that blank stare is the mind of a ruthless killing machine and both on and off stage, Steve is a force to be feared. The minecart functions as a grab so shielding against it is useless. Depending on the materials the cart is made with, it can hit like a truck. You can also use minecart to bait your opponent into jumping over it to hit them with something else. While I was goofing off with some CPUs to help better get the hang of Steve's abilities, I unintentionally used the minecart to stop Palutena from making it back to the stage. As someone that loathes fighting Palu, that was both satisfying and very amusing.

Using the minecart for damage is super fun and all but it is also useful for returning to the stage, especially if you struggle with Steve's recovery, which I most certainly do. I've gotten better at relying on other means besides Steve's up B to get back to the stage, but I still SD because I'm not very proficient with it. With that in mind, I try to use blocks to make it back or use minecart and then up B. 

It should go without saying but craft, craft and craft some more when playing as Steve. You do not want to be caught without materials, especially if you are off stage and your up B game is poo poo. Not only that, but you wanna have those hard hitting swords do dishing out hard hitting strikes. Oh and of course, TNT! Boy, TNT is one of the best things Steve was given! It is great for edge guarding, baiting your opponents and the fact that you have a great deal of control of where the detonator switch is just makes using it even loads more fun. Since it is a bomb, you can always set it off without the switch. If you foe has a much higher percentage than you, and you're both near the TNT, just let it rip and see who dies first. 

I really, really love Steve's neutral air. It is so fun to whack fools with that pickax and try to keep it going for as long as possible. The fact that it can spike makes it even better. I just wish I could remember to build blocks to extend my combos even further.

We all saw Sakurai use blocks to well, blocks a CPU Pikachu's recovery to the stage when he was giving us the Steve demo. I'm disappointed that we can't spell out "Lol nope," in full but we can place that "L" at the ledge. And yes, players have been doing that. You can even place a single block at just the fight spot near the ledge, grab and throw your opponent into it and get a kill. 

Steve is one of the very best additions to Ultimate's already beefy roster. I cannot believe how much I love playing as him. And just so we're clear, I do mean Enderman. Yeah, Steve is nice and all but Enderman is the best block boy and you cannot change my mind on that.


No comments: