Search This Blog

Monday, November 9, 2020

Next Generation Gaming: I Can Wait


Video game console launches. There really is nothing quite like it. The thought of getting your hands on new hardware, the new controller, the new games. It truly is an exciting time. I picked up an N64, and GCN on launch day and yeah, it felt freaking great to have the newest systems on the very day they dropped. Over the years, however, I've been getting the hot new game machines further away from launch days and in some cases, several years after release. With the PS5 and XBSX set to release this month, once again, I will be sitting out on launch day.

Of the two systems, the PS5 is the one that appeals the most to me. I've been playing on Sony system since the original PS and each one has constantly delivered the goods. Despite the system's enormous size and the memes that have spawned from the design, I do think it is a nice looking machine and some of those launch titles do intrigue me. And yet, I'm in no rush to get one when November 12th hits or even within the first few months of the 2021. 

FOMO, or fear of missing out is something that we have all felt. You see everyone enjoying the new games or whatever is trending and you feel like an outsider, envious that you aren't taking part in what everyone else is. I got a bit of FOMO myself when FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE was released and everyone and their dog was playing it. After playing through the demo, I was super excited to get it. But then the COVID-19 pandemic got worse, we were placed on lockdown and my income took a serious hit. But even when I did resume getting a steady check, buying FFVIIR was not at the top of my to-do list. I had considered buying it but in the end, I decided it could wait and that hasn't changed.

I admit that seeing thumbnails of YouTubers like YongYea with a PS5 does trigger my FOMO and yeah, it may sting even more when more and more folks get their hands on the PS5 and Let's Play videos start popping up, but you know what? I'll manage just fine. I waited to get the past few next generation systems before, so I can easily do it again. The Switch has done such a marvelous job of catering to my gaming needs that I am in no rush to have the new machine on the block. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is dropping on the 20th and there's still a wealth of games I haven't even gotten around to. Besides, some of those PS5 titles will be on the PS4.

PS5, you're looking pretty clean and sounding really hype, but I'm gonna hold off on getting you for a while.

No comments: