Search This Blog

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Mega Man 9!!!


Mega Man is by and large my all-time favorite video game character. Ever. Sure, I was exposed to the plumber and his bro before the blue bomber and some of the Super Mario games are among the best on this planet, but Mega Man is just instant win. The robot masters, the tricky levels, the weapons, I love it all. So its only fitting that I'm incredibly stoked to find that the rumor of Mega Man 9 is in fact true. The rumor alone had me giddy but now that MM9 is ago? I'm as giddy as a school girl.

When the rumor started, we were told that MM9 would be an old-school MM game. Now that we've seen some actually screens we know just how old-school they plan to make this game. We're talking 8-bit NES sprites here. Some folks aren't too pleased with the retro look of the game. I admit that it wasn't what I was expecting but I'm not let down by the look of the game at all. 8-bit Mega Man games are still some of the best looking NES games out there (yeah, I know that doesn't mean squat to a lot of people, but hey, I'm old-school) and I'm just happy Capcom finally put a 9 at the end of the words "Mega Man."

The screens here are from the latest/upcoming Nintendo Power and from the looks of things, we're in for some good old fashioned platforming that we all know and love. I can't remember a MM game where there weren't those annoying appearing/disappearing platforms and I'm positive they'll show up in this game. I still get nervous falling through those long spike pits in MM2 and MM3 so I wouldn't be surprised if the developers threw those in there just so they could screw with us even more.

MM9 will be available on the Wii on WiiWare and some gamers aren't too happy about that. Personally, I don't mind it being on the Wii at all. In fact, I think its a good move. Mega Man Powered Up & Mega Man Maverick Hunter X both sold poorly on the PSP and I don't really think an old-school MM game on the PS3 would fare too well. Of the three next gen consoles, the Wii is the most affordable so that, to me would seem like the safest bet for Capcom. Now I just need a Wii. Now more than ever I want a Wii.

No comments: