Search This Blog

Saturday, February 4, 2017

Favorite Tunes #174: Going Commando

Now that is a subtitle that is sure to raise some eyebrows. No,it isn't what you think but with one of the game's titles in this week's Favorite Tunes, I just couldn't resist.

Darius - Darius Twin (SNES)


My first entry to the Darius series, Darius Twin is certainly not the best Darius experience. Much of the enemies fly on screen and zip right out with not even much of an attempt to attack you. Still, there are worse shooters on the SNES and the music is't too shabby.

The Second Act - Tales of Phantasia (SNES)


The first American release of the Tales series was in the form of Tales of Destiny on the PS in 1998. Tales of Phantasia, the very first Tales game, wouldn't be released outside of Japan until 2006 on the GBA and unfortunately the music took a hit on the GBA hardware. It isn't awful, but the SNES version's music is just infinitely superior. The Second Act is the second overworld theme.

Sky, Ocean, and Earth - Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (PS2)


Originally released on the PS2 in 2005. Dragon Quest VIII was recently re-released on the 3DS with new features, one of the best being the elimination of random battles. If you missed out on the PS2 version, make sure you grab Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS and enjoy the lengthy quest, memorable characters and wonderful soundtrack Koichi Sugiyama is to Dragon Quest as to Nobuo Uematsu is to Final Fantasy. The music may not sound as grandiose on the 3DS, but it still sounds pretty dang good.

Main Theme - Commando (ARC)


My first time playing Commando was on the Capcom Arcade Classics Collection on the PS2 and I could not get enough of the game's Main Theme, which is very militaristic but fitting given the nature of the game. Run, shoot, duck, toss grenades, and keep moving. It actually isn't as easy at it sounds.

Saxophone Under the Moon (YAGAMI TEAM BGM) - King of Fighters XIV (PS4)


I love me some jazz. I have yet to play King of Fighters XIV but if the game if the music is anything to go by, I think I'll really enjoy it. Besides, it has been years since I threw down with Iori and company and I'm looking forward to getting back in touch with the old gang.

Sirius Theme #1 (Friend or Foe) - Bomberman 64 (N64)


I am SO excited for Bomberman's return with Super Romberman R on the Nintendo Switch. As much as I can't wait to go online with fellow Bomberman players and blow stuff up, I am a bit intrigued as to what the single player mode will be like. Bomberman 64 had one of the most enjoyable (if at times, too overly challenging) single player modes in Bomberman's history while the multiplayer mode was lacking. I'm hoping Super Bomberman R can achieve a good balance.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: