Search This Blog

Saturday, May 25, 2019

Favorite Tunes #267: A Tale of Two Aladdins

Favorite Tunes and other blog activity was MIA because the last work week was a freaking nightmare. But enough about that mess. This week, I've got some club beats, some jazz and two reminders of one of the greatest wars to ever rock this world, the 16-bit console wars. 

Hit the Floor - Katana ZERO (NS, PC)
The indie scene continues to amaze me. Before it was even released, Katana ZERO sounded like it would be my kinda game and sure enough, I've been enjoying it greatly. Not only is the killing really good, but so is the soundtrack. They had me with the first song but the more I played, the more I wanted to hear.

Clip Joint Calamity - Cuphead (PC, XBO, NS)
I am still wowed by the fact that I've been able to play Cuphead on the Switch. Everything I've heard about the game is true, including the difficulty. I played Clip Joint Calamity more times than I can count and nearly stood up in my chair when I finally managed to pass it.

Time Attack - Final Fight CD (SCD)
For a long time, the best version of Final Fight was on  the Sega CD or the Mega CD for those of you that live in Japan or Europe. Haggar, Cody and Guy are all playable, every level is included and it looks very much like the arcade coin-op. Some bonuses were even included in this home release such as a killer arranged soundtrack by T's Music and a Time Attack mode.

The Cave of Wonders - Aladdin (SNES)
Another classic Disney animated film to get the live action treatment is Aladdin with Genie being played by Will Smith. I've been a fan of Will's work since the '90s but I've never been one foaming at the mouth for Disney to remake their old animated movies. Around the time the movie hit home video, there were not one, but two Aladdin games. The SNES version was made by Capcom, a company that had long since proven themselves with Disney IPs since the NES days.

Arabian Nights - Aladdin (GEN)
The second Aladdin game to release was, not too surprisingly, on the Genesis, a console that had a heated rivalry with the SNES. Developed by Virgin Interactive, Aladdin on the Genesis was a vastly different game than the SNES version. Aladdin on the SNES favored platforming above all else while Aladdin on the Genesis was more of an action game, even giving Al a sword.

Come Now, to the Front - Bangai-O (DC)
It has been quite a few years since I've heard the soundtrack to the Dreamcast version of Bangai-O. So I gave it a listen recently and it sounds even better than I remember. I don't think NON has ever turned in a bad game soundtrack. This Treasure gem needs a re-release pronto.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: