Search This Blog

Saturday, May 4, 2019

Favorite Tunes #265: Time Bonus!

If you've played a certain polygonal racer from SEGA, congrats on getting the reference.

Zangief Stage CPSII - Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (ARC)
After Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting, Capcom would cease using the CPSI arcade board for the remainder of SFII updates. The New Challengers, which introduced Cammy, Fei Long, T. Hawk and Dee Jay, ran on the CPSII hardware and there was a hugely noticeable difference with the audio. When it comes to the arcade soundtrack of SFII, I prefer some tracks in CPSI and others in CPSII. I can go either way for Zangief's theme.

Competition & Time Attack Menu - Sonic Mania (PS4, NS, XBO, PC)
"SONIC!" "TAILS!" "KNUCKLES!" "MIGHTY!" "RAY!" All said in the glorious voice of Takenobu Mitsuyoshi. This man's accent is just the best. In Time Attack I'll select the characters multiple times because he sounds that awesome. Oh, and the music gets you hyped to break some records.

Car Select - F-ZERO X (N64)
When F-ZERO made the jump to 3D with F-ZERO X, it brought with it some incredibly sick rock/metal tunes to go along with the intense racing. When the music that plays to select your car is this good, you know the rest of the soundtrack is gonna be fire.

Cloud Country - Stardew Valley (PC, PS4, XBO, NS)
My backlog is not decreasing anytime soon, so I have no idea when I'll get around to playing Stardew Valley. By the time I do start playing this game, I'll probably already be well familiar with the soundtrack, which is some of my favorite relaxing music to write to.

Save the World, Heroes - Find Me II (3DS)
The Find Mii stage was one of my favorites for Super Smash Bros. 3DS and I was happy to see it return in Ultimate. The stage is fare more chaotic playing on a game that runs at a higher frame rate. I never did start Find Mii II so the arrangements of Dark Lord and Save the World, Heroes! was my first time ever hearing these songs. Turns out the originals are just as good as the remixes.

Replay - SEGA AGES Virtua Racing (NS)
When I found out one of the games slated for the SEGA AGES line on the Switch was Virtua Racing, I had hoped the Replay theme from the 32X's Virtua Racing Deluxe would be included. Alas, it is not. However, a remix of the theme using the instruments from the Model 1 arcade hardware is the next best thing. It is almost every bit as much of a banger as the 32X version. Man, I cannot wait for this game to hit the eShop in America.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: