Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Nintendo Shadow Drops BOTW Prequel, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity


Nintendo: Maaaaaan, it sucks that our Super Mario 3D All-Stars collection got leaked. But while all eyes are on our upcoming collection, let's stealth drop an announcement for a prequel to Breath of the Wild. We'll even announce that the release date is this year. 2020 has been terribad so fans will welcome this unexpected, but pleasant surprise.

Fans:



OK, so that probably isn't how the plan to reveal Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity went, but none of us were expecting this. It came out of nowhere and I, like many of you, am very excited for it.

I don't mean to come off like a BOTW super fan, but I loooooove that game. The world, the art style, the exploration; I ate it up as if I were at an all you can eat buffet. The sequel to BOTW is a ways off and more than likely due to COVID-19, development has been hampered, which is totally understandable. I was actually considering playing through BOTW again. I've yet to play my Switch copy nor did I ever complete all of the DLC. Age of Calamity coming along will have me holding off my second play through of the game, not that a mind.

If you've never played a Warriors game, they are hack and slash based titles on a grand scale. You run around, thrashing enemies in droves in pretty stylish fashion. The gameplay is very repetitive but I love beat 'em ups so I can do some repetitive games. Also, I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors and finally got around to picking up Definitive Edition on Switch a few months ago. I thought about opening it up buuuuut, Age of Calamity is on the horizon so I'll get to scratch the Warriors AND BOTW itch.

We never got to actually see how the calamity that devastated Hyrule went down in BOTW. In Age of Calamity not only will we get to witness it, we'll get to play through it. And not just as Link. We'll get to play as best Zelda (fight me) the queen of thicc, Urbosa and the best water waifu of all time, Mipha! Daruk will be there to club fools and that bird Ravioli will be there too. Um, yay? Alright, I confess, Revali is the only member of the champions that I hated. He's so much of a smug jerk that he's insufferable. Even so, if he's powerful in slaying enemies, I suppose I could deal with his attitude.

Hyrule Warriors was made without working too closely with the Legend of Zelda team. For Age of Calamity, it will be different with the team being much more involved this time. So this Warriors title will have something of a different spin on it. November 20th seems close and yet so very, very far.

No comments: