Search This Blog

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sucking At Older Games

Worst thing about playing an older time you haven't played for some time? You may have to rebuild your skills and rhythm. The last two days have been a painful reminder of this when it came to old-school gaming over the weekend.

I had a Mega Man itch I've been wanting to scratch for a while now. The announcement of Mega Man 9 made the need to scratch that itch all the more easier. So I fired up Mega Man Anniversary Collection and played my all-time favorite Mega Man game, Mega Man 3. Now MM games are usually the type I can go without playing for a while and still come back with all my adeptness and pattern memorization well in tact. Maybe both of those called in sick because I was looking like a scrub during more than a few areas of Mega Man 3. I actually got hit when I fought Proto Man in Magnet Man's stage. I died in Top Man's stage twice in the same area, the one where you have to jump over those spinning tops. Missed by jumps by ridiculously short ranges in Snake Man's stage. Man, I'm just glad I was the only gamer in the room to actually see this happen. Thankfully, I was still able to beat the game. I mean, I knew I would, I just didn't expect to look so out-of-practice.

Pulled out Super Mario All-Stars to play Super Mario Bros. Lost my super mushroom to some flippin' Goombas in the first level. Died to a Goomba in world 3. Death by Goomba. In a Mario game that's like the worst way to go out. Even worse is dying and then restarting at a spot where the Hammer Bros. Any other Mario game I'm OK with being small around Hammer Bros. but in Super Mario Bros. I really feel screwed. I got to world 4, decided to save & quit. No way I was gonna deal with Lukitu after so many deaths.

No comments: