Search This Blog

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Currently Playing #18

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)



I've long since finished the game but I've been taking the Special Worlds slow. I have to say, I was a little surprised to find out that Super Mario 3D World has more than one Special World. If I recall correctly, I don't think the Super Mario series has featured multiple Special Worlds since the Lost Levels with it's Levels A-D nonsense. Some of the levels in the regular worlds were tough but a lot of the Special World levels are straight up brutality. Faster Fort Fire Bros. was enough to induce rage quit as was World Star-2, the level where you finally unlock Rosalina.

In spite of all the frustration the Special Worlds are causing me, Super Mario 3D World is undoubtedly one of the best Super Mario games I've ever played and it justifies the purchase of a Wii U. The constant shifts in level design keeps things fresh, the Cat Suit is one of the best new power-ups in years and the soundtrack is extremely varied.

New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)



Yes, it's "another" New Super Mario Bros. game, but dang, if I'm not having a ball with it. Nintendo makes these freaking things so well that at times it's hard to blame them when they get accused of rehashing. Admittedly, the game felt very by the numbers at first, but when I got toe World 3, I found myself like NSMBU more and more. Originally, I hadn't planned to start this game up just yet. The idea was to finish Super Mario 3D World first but then the Special Worlds started slapping me in the face over an over and I needed some relief. NSMBU took the kid gloves off much earlier than I anticipated so now I'm juggling two tough Mario platformers at the same time. Granted, it isn't as crazy as 3D World's Special Worlds, but the stuff NSMBU is throwing at me is really starting to get nuts. Flight of the Para-Beetles was a level very much like something out of Sky Land from Super Mario Bros. 3. Upwards auto scrolling and no check points. Not only did I lose a ton of lives on this level, I had to replay it to collect all the Star Coins.

Currently, I'm at Peach's Castle and I see Bowser has turned int into a lava filled wasteland. The third star coin in the first level drove me nuts and was the first time I ever saw the Super Guide appear. I'll more than likely complete NSMBU over the weekend and while I'd like to explore those levels I missed and collect all the every single Star Coin, I'm not quite sure I will as I have other platformers I need to attend to.

Sonic Generations (PS3 ver.)



This is one of the first HD games I wanted to play when I got my hands on a PS3. The big draw of this game is that it offers two different play styles with the two Sonics. Classic Sonic's levels are 2D and Modern Sonic's levels are mostly 3D. I say mostly because there's still a good bit of 2D in his gameplay. Running through new renditions of Green Hill, Chemical Plant, and Sky Sanctuary is quite the thrill ride and the challenges add a lot of replay value to the game. I especially like that you can unlock songs from other Sonic games to listen to during gameplay. I cannot tell you how awesome it is to blast through Green Hill Zone with Sonic Boom blaring.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition (Wii U)



I never knew I wanted to have the Tekken cast wear Nintendo gear until I saw screen shots of the Wii U version of TTT2. Some may say Nintendo clothing doesn't make this game worth a purchase but since it comes with all the character DLC that the PS3 and 360 versions have at no extra charge, I saw it is. Plus, I only paid $15 for this brand new but I easily would have forked over a bit more cash for it. Seeing Heihachi in Mario's clothes is one of the best things ever. This isn't just limited to items from the Mario universe. I just found out I can dress Raven up in to look like Captain Falcon. In the immortal words of the captain, YES!

1 comment:

Adam said...

I loved NSMB on Wii the DS and 3DS ones just don't compare