Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Favorite Tunes #134: Serene Weather

I've got more posts of Favorite Tunes than anything else on this blog. Chalk that up to my love for gaming music. Anyway, among today's selections are beats from Bomberman 64: The Second Attack and Tales of Phantasia.

Zvil Race Way - Fast Racing NEO (Wii U)



If you're missing F-ZERO and Wipeout (I know I am) then the Wii U eShop's Fast Racing NEO should hit the spot. It offers futuristic racing at breakneck speeds and is quite the challenge. Fast Racing NEO also sports a bangin' soundtrack. I'm a sucker for some techno, trance and electronica.

Aquanet 2 - Bomberman 64: The Second Attack (N64)



Yasunroi Matsuda is more known for his work on Square's games, but he actually did some work on a few N64 titles such as the first two Mario Party games as well as Bomberman 64: The Second Attack. This game has a masterful soundtrack with many themes often having a second variation.

Force Your Way - Dissidia 012 [Duodecim] Final Fantasy (PSP)



Final Fantasy heroes and villains kicking the crap out of each other in real time combat? Yes, please! Say what you will about the game's story but you can't deny how awesome it was to see different heroes and villains from different FF games interacting with one another. The Dissidia 012 arrangements don't get any better than this rocking remix of Force Your Way.

Staff Roll - For the Frog the Bell Tolls (GB)



Before the Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, there was For the Frog the Bell Tolls, which released on the Game Boy one year prior only in Japan. The game's share a lot of similarities and Kazumi Totaka wrote music for both games. Prince Sable does appear as an Assist Trophy in the Wii U and 3DS versions of Super Smash Bros. He's the cute little guy that turns into a frog and a snake and beats the crap out of opponents, cartoon style.

Serene Weather - Tales of Phantasia (SNES)



It never ceases to amazed me just how rich the SNES sound chip is. The thing was made by Sony, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, but still. It makes so many genres of music shine. I'm not sure I should listen to the GBA and PS versions of Tales of Phantasia music because the SNES tracks have spoiled me so much. This one one beautiful sounding track.

Recollect Continent (Theme of Rock) - Soul Edge (ARC, PS)



The recent Soul Calibur games may look light years ahead of the original, but I'm not quiet sure they sound better. Not that the last few Soul Calibur games have had terrible music. Its just that Soul Edge music was just that freaking good, I know the opening vocal theme, The Edge of Soul gets a lot of attention, but the character themes are pretty boss in their own right.

Favorite Tunes Database

1 comment:

DS90Gamer said...

Personally I think the Soul Calibur series' music went downhill after SCIII. the fourth game had a few good tunes but SCV was really forgettable OST-wise. SCIII has - for me personally - some incredible music but I will never forget Soulblade's OST which seemed so far ahead of the actual game itself.