Search This Blog

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Comic Book Fans Never Had It So Good



I have never been more excited to be a comic book fan than I am now. My love for comics has been renewed with a new perspective on the medium and I got another favorite super hero. There are a ton of reasons to be stoked for comic books right now. The only reason I could see someone not getting hyped is if they are dead.

There are a smorgasbord of high quality live action movies and TV shows for comic fans looking to get their super hero fix. CW has four nights in a row of comic book shows with Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow. From what I hear, Arrow is getting better after the suckfest that was season four. Superman is finally making actual appearances on Supergirl and he's a really likable character, leaps and bounds better than than Zack Synder's version of Superman.

Marvel is killing it with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Captain America: Civil War was so much better than the comic book that it was inspired by. It probably helped that it was a loose adaptation of the graphic novel. Spider-Man was *ahem* spectacular in the movie and I cannot wait to see his solo movie next year. Dr. Strange looks like it's going to drop jaws and it already has me looking into picking up that sweet-looking Dr. Strange Funko Pop figure.

I should probably start watching Luke Cage already. My dad has already seen all of it and I'm the one that told him about it. Daredevil and Jessica Jones really impressed me and I already know Marvel is working their way up to the Defenders with Iron Fist dropping in 2017. And what I've wanted to happen finally is. Daredevil season one will release on Blu-ray in November. Nice to see Marvel's killer Netflix shows will be getting physical releases.

But it isn't just live action comic book adaptations that are making things great for comic geeks. Better availability of comic books always helps. DC has started releasing trade paperback golden and silver age versions of their key franchises like Superman, Batman, the Flash and the Justice League of America. The price of these books are pretty reasonable, too, ranging from $19.99 to $24.99. Not bad considering you get from over 300 to 400 plus pages of golden age/silver age comic goodness. I've been making my way through The Flash: The Silver Age Vol. 1 and I like it a lot. True, it is Barry Allen heavy, but DC has brought Geoff Johns Wally West Flash run back into print with books one and two already available and book three releasing in November. Mark Waid's run on the Flash will begin being collected in TPB format with the first volume dropping in December. Cannot wait.

Marvels TPBs tend to be more pricey. Most books in the Epic Collection line run the $34.99 to $39.99 route and are roughly the same amount of pages as DC's aforementioned golden age and silver age books. I find these are better purchased online as opposed to in stores to save some cash. At least some of Marvels older works are becoming more easily accessible. The Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection: Great Power collects a good chunk of the Stan Lee & Steve Ditko Spidey run and is a much cheaper alternative than buying The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 1.

I feel I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the ever rising age of digital comics. After seeing ads for Comixology, I finally payed the site a visit. They've got tons of comics both new and old. I bought Spider-Man: Parallel lives and The Flash (vol. 1) #139 for chump change. I've always wanted to read Parallel Lives and I didn't feel like waiting until DC eventually made it to The Flash: The Silver Age Vol. 3 to read about the first appearance of The Reverse Flash. I can even snag a few books from Mark Waid's run if I get impatient and can't wait for December.

So we got stellar comic book shows, sweet flicks (on Marvel's end, at least) and comic book access has never been easier. I don't think there has ever been a better time to be a comic book fan than there is now. I'm off to read some silver age Flash stories and count the seconds until the next episode of the Flash hits the CW app.

No comments: