Search This Blog

Friday, October 21, 2016

Nintendo Switch Reveal Thoughts



Yesterday, the Nintendo NX was at long last revealed to the world under the title, Nintendo Switch. On a very rare occasion, I'm not late to the party, so I've decided to strike while the iron is hot and offer up some thoughts on the Nintendo Switch reveal.

The trailer for the NS was freaking great. As much as I love the Wii U, Nintendo failed on letting the public at large know what the system was. Many still look at the Wii U as an add on and not a successor of the Wii. With the NS reveal. this clearly isn't the case. No one is going to question what the NS is or mistake it for something it isn't.

Home consoles are great but we need a TV to play them and hauling them off for travel can be cumbersome. This isn't going to be the case with the NS. The off TV play of the Wii U has always been one of my favorite features about the system and I'm glad Nintendo is going to continue this with the NS, but taking it a step further. We can take the NS anywhere and enjoy it thanks to the tablet. On a bus, on a train, on a plane, on the beach. Even on the can if you're into gaming in the bathroom.



Look, ma, no wires! The NS has no cords attached to it. We're looking at a completely wireless game console. How cool is that? I thought it couldn't get any better than wireless controllers but a wireless console? I never thought I'd see the day. For a company that is often accused of being the dinosaurs of gaming Nintendo has shown that they can get with the times when they want to. Our phones and tablets, things that we use in our daily life are wireless so why nit make a console that is free of wires? I've been calling the NS a console but in truth, the thing is a handheld portable device as much as it is a home console. Nintendo has dominated the handheld market for over 25 years so it makes perfect sense to have the NS function as not only a home console but a portable device as well.

And the NS looks sexy to boot. I mean, just look at that thing and try to tell me it looks ugly. After digging the compactness of the Wii, it sucked to go back to a bigger Nintendo console with the Wii U. The NS looks stylish, slick and is smaller than the Wii U. Oh and that logo is simple but straight and to the point.

As excited as I am for the NX reveal, I do have some concerns. The detachable controllers are on the small side, which I can see being an issue for those with large hands. Nintendo likes to have their consoles be affordable but for what we've seen the NS do with that trailer, I have a hard time believing the NS will be cheap. With a price yet to be revealed, all we can do is guess, but I'd say $400 or more is a safe bet. Nintendo's history with third party developers/publishers on consoles has not been great since the Nintendo 64 days and while the list of third party companies for the NS looks impressive, I'm hoping Nintendo doesn't screw it up and many of these third parties abandon the system. The fact that the NS is portable will hopefully play in the consoles favor since again, Nintendo kills it on handhelds.

No comments: