Search This Blog

Monday, May 1, 2017

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is Making Me Love Bowser Jr.


Since his introduction in Super Mario Sunshine, Bowser Jr., Bowser's one and only child, has been a character I have very much loathed. I found his voice annoying in that game and while Sunshine may not have had the best voice acting, his appearances in future Mario titles did nothing to make me like his as a character. He always came across as Bowser's bratty kid that took the place of the Koopalings as Bowser's child. Of all the new characters coming to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Bowser Jr. was the least one that I was looking forward to. I wasn't even going to play as him at all. And then I saw him in action.

Bowser Jr. has some of the best animations out of any of the drivers in Mario Kart 8. When doing tricks, he turns around and smacks his butt playfully, turns back and makes goofy faces to those behind him. Yes, this is childish behavior and it works since he's a kid, but I have to say that what makes Bowser Jr.'s antics so great is that of his character. I guess his brat-like persona really lends itself to Mario Kart racing where screwing over everyone around you is how you secure a winning position. Even his voice doesn't bother me in this game. Its as if I'm seeing the character for the first time and I'm really liking what I'm seeing. I could see myself maining Bowser Jr. in this game for the pure joy of using his animations as taunts to other players.


Maybe I had Bowser Jr. read wrong all these years. I guess first impressions aren't everything. Who knows, I could end up wanting to strangle the little runt again when Super Mario Odyssey comes out for now, the little punk has worked his magic on me and he's cool in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

No comments: