Search This Blog

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Favorite Tunes #187: Let's Do the Odyssey

Well, E3 is over and regardless on who you think won, the real winners are of course, the gamers. There's games to look forward to later this year as well as 2018. I'm especially stoked for that PS4 Spider-Man title, Metroid: Samus Returns and, well, you read this Favorite Tune's subtitle, didn't you? Yeah, I am beyond jazzed for that one.

Pac-Jump Up! - Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 (PC, XBO, PS4)


If you were to ask me 6 months ago what my favorite Pac-Man game was, I would have answered without hesitation, Ms. Pac-Man. But now I've been exposed to Pac-Man 256 and Pac-Man Championship Edition 2. Currently, I can't decide which one I favor more, but I love Chamionship Edition 2's fast gameplay and ravetastic soundtrack. Pac-Jump Up! is my go-to song in this game.

Wolfduck Stage - Darkwing Duck (NES)


Released in 1992 and developed by Capcom, people often draw comparisons to Darkwing's NES adventure and Mega Man. Stage design is similar and the levels can be selected in any order you of your choosing. Darkwing Duck can also be a difficult game. And the soundtrack is freaking amazing. Yasuaki Fujita wrote the super catchy, jazzy music of Darkwing Duck, who was also the composer of Mega Man 3's soundtrack. Grab The Disney Afternoon Colleciton if you want to check out DW's 8-bit adventure.

Grandpix - ARMS (NS)


Did you see Mr. Yabuki during the E3 ARMS Open Invitational? Dude was SO close to taking an L but being the producer of the game, he showed that he is not an opponent to be trifled with. That was the kind thing that gets people more excited to play ARMS. The music to this game is pretty good, especially the Grandprix theme. I just love the so-easy-to-learn lyrics.

Molduga Battle - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U, NS)


Stop me if you've heard this one before. You're walking along the Gerudo Desert and you see a mini boss health bar appear and the music changes. Certainly caught me by surprise. It was an even bigger one when Molduga jumped out of the sand and I saw how huge he was. He was intimidating at first. Now? Now I just farm the sucker for parts.

Guile Stage (CPS1)- Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (ARC)



The theme that goes with everything. Well, most people tend to go for the CPS2 version of this theme but the CPS1 version is still very good. I haven't played a newer Street Fighter in years. Does Guile still giving the losers advice about being a family man?

Jump Up, Super Star! - Super Mario Oydssey (NS)


I cannot even tell you how many times I've listened to this song since hearing it days ago.  It is just. So. GOOD! But I feel like saying that undercuts how amazing of a song it is. I don't think we've ever had full vocal number in a Super Mario game.  What's more, it is sung by the Mayor of New Donk City, Pauline! That girl has skills! New Donk City is full of references to the Donkey Kong series from red girders atop buildings to locations and streets named after the Kong family. But there's even a reference in this song. At 1:25 into the song, the bass line becomes the 25cm, the track for the very first level of the original Donkey Kong.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: