Search This Blog

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Favorite Tunes #190: Sunday Jams

What's this? Favorite Tunes on a Sunday? Usually, this a feature that is reserved for Saturday but I was a bit behind so I moved it to Sunday. Enjoy!

Side-Crawler's Dance - Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (SMS)


For a cool $20, you can own one of the best remakes of 2017 and just in general, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap. The game boasts a jaw dropping art style and an outstanding musical score. If those things aren't to your liking, with a few button presses, you can instantly revert the game back to it's original 1989 look and sound. The arranged audio is of super high quality but if you haven't listened to the original Sega Master System tracks, I highly recommend you check them out.

Messij - WipEout (Multi)


I picked up WipEout Omega Collection as a self bought birthday present and I've really been digging it. Though I was never the best WipEout player, I haven't played a game in the series in over a decade so I've had to reacquire what little skills I did have. Still, I've been having a ton of fun with this game and it made me recall the early 2000s when I picked up all three WipEout titlts on the original PS. Though the first  WipEout was outclassed by the superior WipEout XL, it had a phenomenal soundtrack thanks in part to guys CoLD SToRAGE.

Stage Select - Mega Man 9 (Wii, PS3, 360)


When Mega Man 9 was revealed by Capcom in 2008, fans and critics alike went wild. It was the return of classic Mega Man after a near decade long absence (not counting the GBA port of Mega Man & Bass in 2003 and Mega Man Anniversary Collection in 2004). Despite my issues with the game (it feels like its trying to imitate Mega Man 2 far too much), Mega Man 9 was still an outstanding entry in the series and I'm looking forward to the physical release in Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 in early August.

Turtle Woods - Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4)



I realize that the previous Favorite Tunes was full of nothing but music from Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. Normally, I'd give a game or series that took up all of Favorite Tunes a break, but I really, really like the redone music in N. Sane Trilogy. Currently, I'm going through Crash 2 and I cannot get enough of this Turtle Woods theme.

Cosmic Air way - Darius (ARC)


You've heard the GB version of this theme back in Favorite Tunes #186. Well, how you can hear the arcade version. As someone who was exposed to other games in the series and wouldn't hear the music more than 20 years after it's initial release, I'm surprised at how much I enjoy the music from the first Darius. It may sound a bit primitive compared to the later entries, but I love it. I especially like how much of it is peppy and upbeat.

Ribbon Girl's Theme - ARMS (NS)


Nintendo has been killing it with the Switch. All they've got to do is fix that atrocious Nintendo Switch Online app and make the dang Switch a lot easier for consumers to get their hands on, and we'll be golden. I'm truly amazed by how catchy some of the music in ARMS is. When the music is this freaking good, you can get away with lyrics that are nothing but "Ohhhs" and "Nas."

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: