Search This Blog

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Super Mario Dress Up Odyssey


Coins. They've long been a staple in the Super Mario series, often collected and sought out for the purpose of extending the player's life count. As the series went on, obtaining lives became easier and easier. The progression of gaming as a whole has caused some to ponder if lives are even needed. Numerous games have done away with the archaic life system entirely. It took the Super Mario franchise some thirty plus years but with Super Mario Odyssey, lives have at long last been thrown out the window (at least with this particular game). Coins, however, are still very much a part of the game. In fact, coins may now serve the greatest purpose in Odyssey than they have in any other Mario game where getting lives ins't easy peasy: coins are used to deck out Mario in oh so many different outfits.

Mario's red cap and blue overalls getup is iconic. You'll never catch me knocking it. But having said that, I was thrilled to learn that we would be able to get Mario into some different clothes for a change. A good chunk of the enjoyment you'll get out of Odyssey comes from the plethora different of outfits you can collect and parade Mario in. We never knew how much we needed Mario running around in a sombrero and a poncho in a Super Mario game until we were given a game that let us do just that. I will rock that outfit all day everyday and I don't care who is offended.

Never have I ever been more ecstatic to grab coins in a Super Mario game because more coins means way more clothing options for my boy. There have been times when I wasn't sure what look I wanted to go out in. The Explorer costume (a look rocked heavily in the Wooded Kingdom because Mario's Picross was a GB game I loved), the Mecahnic outfit because I liked the all white and backwards cap. Or the Super Mario 64 costume because playing with a low polygonal model in an HD game makes me very nostalgic.

Some of these costumes have already made it
into Super Mario Odyssey so there's hope for
the rest to follow.
Before the February update that added three new costumes and Luigi's Balloon World, there were over 40 different outfits. Since then, I've been hoping that Nintendo would add to Mario's expansive wardrobe because he's worn a lot. I'd love to see Mario's black overalls from Super Mario Bros. 3 or his light blue colors in Super Mario World. What about the Frog Suit? Mario's referee uniform from Mario Tennis? Then there's the fact that not all of Mario's outfits featured in Odyssey are from games. The Scientist costume is actually from an old Super Gameboy TV spot and everyone's favorite, the Boxer Shorts as well as the Samurai costume are from Nintendo calendars. We also haven't seen Mario's outfit from the Mario Strikers games or MC Mario from the Mario Pinball game Japanese ad. What, you thinking I'm making that last one up? I can assure you, it is real.

With the data mining of Odyssey, we know there are more costumes tucked away. We just got the Baseball costume and Satelleview suit, the later of which has become a huge favorite of mine and was also found in the aforementioned data mining. Nintendo, I love that you're giving us so much costumes for play dress up with Mario so keep 'em coming. I was planning on doing a feature for my favorite Super Mario Odyssey costumes but since there's the possibility of more costumes down the line, I think I'll hold off. Here's hoping to even more obscure Mario references via wardrobe.

Really, though, just give me my freaking Frog Suit and MC Mario. Please?

No comments: