Search This Blog

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Favorite Tunes #237: Gang-Plank Galleon

Simon Belmont is gonna be in Smash. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Terry Bogart showed up. If you read the subtitle for this week, you already know what's up. That big boy king is back but besides music for the biggest crossover series, there's also some tunes from Metal Gear Solid 3, Zed Blade and Prehistoric Isle 2.

Encounter - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
Quite possibly the best game in the Metal Gear saga, chronologically, this is where the whole series kicks off. We get introduced to key members such as future Big Boss and Revolver Ocelot. While this entry isn't my personal favorite (that goes to Metal Gear Solid 2, despite the game's faults), I still think Metal Gear Solid 3 is worth all of the praise it has received. Snake Eater song but I wouldn't mind Smashing to this track in Ultimate.

Universe Blue [Soyuz MIX] (Stage 2, 5) - Zed Blade (ARC)
If you're looking for some jazzy, dance worthy music, you should definitely check out the soundtrack for Zed Blade, also known as Operation Ragnarok in Japan. Granted, I can't speak for the game itself (haven't ever played it) but the soundtrack is something I can see myself playing regularly while I write or do some reading. If you need further insensitive to listen to this soundtrack, it was written by Manabu Namiki.

Gang-Plank Galleon - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
Since King K. Rool has finally come out of retirement, it seems only fitting to post his boss theme. I searched my blog and was surprised to find that not only did I not post the remix from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but I never mentioned the original either. That mistake has been remedied. And yes, he did get me with those fake kredits all those years ago.

Stage 2 - Prehistoric Isle 2 (ARC)
Dinosaurs are roaming around in modern times and it's your job to make like the ice age and kill them off. With all the dino murdering you'll be doing, it may be hard to focus on the music. While not the most difficult shooter, it still throws a ton of enemies and bullets at you so there's never a dull moment. That being said, I like the old, retro movie-like score this game goes with. Stage 2 sounds especially heroic.

Bloody (Orochi Team) - The King of Fighters '98 (ARC)
Man, I still cannot believe that I can play arcade classics like KoF'98 anytime, anywhere on the Switch. The series itself is going on twenty five years old, but this year marks the 20th anniversary of KoF'98, what is widely considered to be the best game in the entire franchise. Technology has allowed for prettier, faster games, but this one still plays and sounds excellent.

Clockwork - Castlevania Judgement (Wii)
I know Casttlevania Judgement wasn't well recieved but that soundtrack was soooo awesome. It pleases me that a few remixes from Judgement are making their way to Smash Ultimate. Heck, the list for the Castlevania stage alone is very extensive. Maybe Square Enix will give Cloud more than two songs this time around.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: