Search This Blog

Thursday, August 9, 2018

Let's Discuss Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 8-8-2018 Direct


OMG! OMG! OMG! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I apologize for sounding like a incoherent idiot but I think anyone that saw the Direct for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate can understand my overflowing excitement. I've avoided articles and videos that talked about leaks so everything that was revealed in the Smash Direct was news to me. And man, what juicy, delicious news it was!

This Smash Direct kicked off with a bang. A beautiful reveal trailer of Simon Belmont, a character I honestly did  not see coming. Well, they did let Snake out to play once again so maybe I should have seen the possibility of Simon coming to Smash. He is a character fans have wanted for a long time. His character model for this game is looking so clean! I love is barbarian look that is clearly based off the first Castlevania game.

I would have been fine with just Simon but it turns out he isn't the only Belmont showing up. Richter is also cracking that whip and unlike Simon, Ricther is looking very anime-like. I find that perfectly fitting since the first game he stared in, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, had an anime like art style for cut scenes. I can easily see myself switching back and forth between Simon and Richter as I am so down with the whole concept of echo fighters.

Of course the stage for the two Castlevania reps has to be Dracula's Castle. And as far as dark, spooky places go, it looks awesome. I'm pretty sure I spotted Kid Dracula's silhouette when they were showing off bosses that would appear throughout the stage. Not only is Drac's crib looking like a fun place to throw hands, but the selection of music from that stage alone is looking superb. Just 34 tracks for one stage alone! If I have a nitpick is would be that I did not spot New Messiah among the list of tracks but when guest Smasher gets 34 tracks on his stages, it really is hard to pout. Maybe Daddy Sakurai will include some more songs in updates? Whether that happens or not, I am stoked for these two and will be purchasing both of their amiibos the day they drop.

Speaking of music, holy crap, there is SO MUCH of it for Ultimate. I'm stoked for returning songs (I really missed Molgera in 3DS/Wii U Smash) but what I've heard of the remixes has me salivating for more. We are finally getting an Opening Stage remix from Mega Man X that I have always wanted and that new Gangplank Galleon remix with the trumpets sounds like fire. I'm all for another Kraid's Lair remix and the one for Ultimate has those violins going IN! I am probably going to spend hours in My Music.

I love Samus but now that I've seen Dark Samus, I may never use vanilla Samus again. The idel animation Dark Samus has just looks soooooo cool. Like, standing is for lesser beings. All of the animations for her movements are enough to make me want to use her  over Samus full time.

I am loving the options and customization Ultimate is going to let us use. Saved rules,  Meter based Final Smashes, not as strong as Smash Balls but still a very welcome addition. I like to the competitive side will allow Final Smash meters but they've played without them for so long that they just might keep them off. The option to turn stage hazards off is another great feature. I do love me some chaotic stages, but some stages overdo the chaos so I know more than a few of you are happy about this one.

King K. Rool. That King Dedede troll was hilarious and then it followed up by the king people wanted to see slapping the crap out of Dedede. King K. Rool is finally in Smash. To be honest, I wasn't one of the players that wanted him in. As much as I like the Donkey Kong Country titles, he wasn't someone I'd vote for in the ballot for Smash 4. That being said, after seeing his reveal trailer, he does look hype. I'm liking that he's got the boxing gloves and his pirate look from Donkey Kong Country 2. He looks like he'll be a lot of fun to use.

We've got a little less than four months until Super Smash Bros. Ultimate releases and we still haven't seen everything this game has to offer. There's that blurred out green mode that has sent people speculating and more characters will more than likely be revealed before the game drops. The hype train is only gaining more and more speed from here.

No comments: