Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Love is a Croc


You know the saying "I didn't ask for this!"? It tends to get thrown around quite a bit, especially in the medium that is video games. This phrase is often used to describe displeasure when one sees something they don't like. While throngs of players asked for the inclusion of King K. Rool in Super Smash Bros, wanting him to be added to the rosters as far back as Brawl if I recall, the reptile is not a character I asked for. In fact, the mere notion of having him take part in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U was absurd to me. At least, it was until a few short days ago.

I'm usually not against the inclusion of any character in Smash Bros. I've never cared for Shulk (probably because I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles yet) but I don't have anything against the character. King K. Rool, however, was a character I did not want to see join the Smash cast. We people where championing for him to be added in Smash 3DS/Wii U, I was like "Seriously? This fat crocodile that makes a hobby out of DK's stealing bananas? There are dozens of other characters more deservring of a slot than that idiot."

I get that K. Rool is the arch enemy of the Kongs and all throughout the SNES Donkey Kong Country trilogy, they did battle with him and the Kremling army. When they Kremlings and K. Rool were absent for both the Wii and Wii U DKC games, I didn't lose any sleep over it. Having the heroes fight the same villains over and over again can get stale. Sure, the Joker is Batman's greatest enemy but if he was the only foe Batman ever threw a punch at, no matter how well written the Clown Prince of Crime is, I think even the most die hard Batman fan would get tired of seeing him. Yes, gaming and comics are two different mediums, but I don't think that makes my point any less valid. Bowser, Dr. Wily, Eggman, I love those characters to death but I honestly get worn out seeing them be the main antagonist of Mario, Mega Man and Sonic's adventures.

So despite the fact that K. Rool and his minions haven't been part of the last two DKC games, I don't think they were worse off because of it. I liked the Snowmads of DKC: Tropical Freeze a lot. They had no interest in stealing fruits or kidnapping apes and chimpanzees. They took a liking to DK's island, said "Nice place you got. I think we're gonna like it  here. Of course, it's gonna be a bit crowded with your monkeys stinking up the place, so don't let the door slap you in the face on the way out." The Snowmads took over DK Isle, forcing the Kong clan to reclaim it. It was a very nice change of pace to save the homeland instead of bananas or comrades.

Back to King K. Rool, I suppose I never really thought he was that great of villain. Yeah, when you get down to it, most badies of platform games are never gonna be in the same league as the Green Goblin, the Reverse Flash or even the Phantom Blot. Still, Eggman, Wily and Bowser were always more appealing bad guys to me over K. Rool and I didn't want to see him make it in Smash. I thought the Mii Brawler costume for K. Rool was a hilarious substitute for anyone wanting K. Rool in Smash 3DS/Wii U and maybe a fitting punishment for those that leaked the Ryu/Roy reveal. Maybe I'm a bit salty after all these years for actually falling for those bogus kredits in the first DKC and getting jabaited by K. Rool but that's besides the point. 

The King K. Rool reveal trailer in August was one of the best things about an already excellent Smash Direct. That Dedede troll followed up by K. Rool slapping him in the back of the head had me in stitches. As much as I disliked him, I couldn't deny that he looked like such an overwhelming joy to play as. I thought I would take him for a spin occasionally. Ultimate isn't even a week old and I've already found one of my new mains and its a overweight crocodile.

King K. Rool is an absolute beast. I've loved heavy characters in Smash throughout the years like Bowser, Gannondorf and King Dedede (especially in Smash 3DS/Wii U) but K. Rool trumps them all. He's got not one but two projectiles in the form of his Crown and Blunderbuss and mixing the two up makes for a great game of pressure to your opponents. On top of that, K. Rool hits like a tank. Getting hit by his Up Smash, Forward Smash and Back Air (which spikes) is like having a missile fired off in your face. His Down Smash is particularly nasty because it tanks numerous attacks and some just flat out won't even work against it.

No doubt many of you have seen WeeGee Plays How to King K. Rool video, which highlights how insane his Down Smash is. It wasn't until I watched said video that I had a moment of clarity from one of my previous battles with the insane CPU. I did Down Smash as the CPU attacked and I thought I wad done for, but K. Rool's gut tanked the hit, the CPU was sent flying and the announcer shouted "GAME" as I stared back at my TV in disbelief that I had won. At the time, I wasn't really sure what happened but thanks to WeeGee's video, I know the score. Again, King K. Rool is an absolute beast. He's not just a fighting beast, but a sexy one, too. That scaly skin, that right, bloodshot eye, the way he struts and slaps that gold platted belly. Hide your love interests, kiddies, King K. Rool is coming for them.

There are all kinds of videos on YouTube that show what a great character K. Rool is. Not trying to be a hipster or anything, but I'm happy that I was able to find out how fun he is on my own. Unfortunately, there are already people claiming that he's broken and that he needs a nerf. Instead of crying for nerfs I'd like to suggest these people learn the match up. K. Rool is powerful but he's not unbeatable. You can also find videos of the big lug being sent into the blast zone.

Even if King K. Rool does get nerfed I will still play as him because I love this character in Smash Ultimate. I think the way he is in this game has given me a newfound respect for him as a whole. This fat crock is on my phone screen and when his amiibo drops I will have that sucker on day one. Whenever Nintendo gets around to releasing a World of Nintendo K. Rool figure, I'll snatch that up as well. To everyone that wanted King K. Rool in Smash, thank you so much for your drive and desire, your push for him to be in this game. I welcome on new, thick, scaly overlord.

No comments: